• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac host with PC Gigastudio slaves

Share/Bookmark

Mac host with PC Gigastudio slaves

I'm a brand-spankin-new member to this forum and this will be my first post.

I'm trying to spec out a system and I could use some insight from those of you already using a similar rig. Here's what I want to put together:

ProTools TDM on a Mac G5, 3 Gigastudio slave PCs loaded with VSL Pro Complete.

I've spent a couple hours looking through this and other forums and while I've learned a few things, I still have questions. My apologies in advance if this is a redundant topic and I just didn't look hard enough for the info I need.

My questions are:

Wormhole over a Gigabit LAN or lightpipe? Anybody getting Wormhole to work reliably?

If lightpipe, what digital interface(s) to use for lightpipe inputs on the Mac? I want to bring over as many as 12 stereo pairs from each Giga box for a total of 36. I can reduce this number if it's unrealistic.

Everybody says to use RME, but what's the best solution for that many inputs, and how does that work in conjunction with the Digidesign audio interface? In other words, since they are different interfaces, will they coexist peacefully? Will I be able to hear the audio coming in to the RME lightpipe ports through the Digidesign analog outs (before I've printed it to a track)? I'm guessing not. Or would running analog outs from each Giga PC to the monitor mix be the best solution for monitoring the digital audio?

Thanks in advance...
    Robert

Re: Mac host with PC Gigastudio slaves

Hi, I'm also a rookie here.
    As far as I know, it will be a pity wasting the recording or resolution quality of audio interfaces such as 888 in a TDM system if you planed to transfer audio data via lightpipe.
    You could still get ultimate sounds using AES/EBU IO, but in your case, you are going to set at least 5 888s in your TDM system.

you definatly need adat as the audio transmitter, but you can only send in 8 pairs. so 12 wont work but you could link 2 RME 9652 together in one Gigastudio and connect the other 2 to the in´s of the first so you ahve all 26 outs laying on one (actually 2) cards.

this gives you also better choices for roting.

i set up a couple studios with systems like this and it works great and you have no extra latency!!!
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by chiwei
    As far as I know, it will be a pity wasting the recording or resolution quality of audio interfaces such as 888 in a TDM system if you planed to transfer audio data via lightpipe.
    Samples libraries are all 44khz. There would be no loss in resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by chiwei
    but in your case, you are going to set at least 5 888s in your TDM system.
    I would only do this with lightpipe if I could use 2 or 3 RME Hammerfall 96/52s on the Mac to accept the inputs. I wouldn't dream of stacking up Digidesign interfaces with only one ADAT port each to get the necessary inputs. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    you definatly need adat as the audio transmitter, but you can only send in 8 pairs.
    Why only 8 pairs? Is this a limitation of Gigastudio?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    you could link 2 RME 9652 together in one Gigastudio and connect the other 2 to the in´s of the first so you ahve all 26 outs laying on one (actually 2) cards.
    Food for thought. Are you also using 96/52s on the host machine to accept all the digital inputs? And how are you monitoring the audio from the Giga boxes?

Go Back to forum