• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ASUS MoBo Query/Comparison

Share/Bookmark

ASUS MoBo Query/Comparison

Gentlemen,

Price difference aside, does anyone have any thoughts on these 2?
    Paging Mr. Fairhurst, King and dpc.....

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Asustek_P4C800_E_Deluxe

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-ASUS_P4P...ard_ATX_i865PE

The chipsets are different. Performance wise coupled with a Frontier Wavecenter....any experiences?

Best Regards,
    Didier

Re: ASUS MoBo Query/Comparison

I haven't followed the Intel side as closely as the AMD side of things, so I don't have much to offer. The differences between the boards seems very subtle.

Hopefully, and Intel mobo expert can help...

-JF

What would you recommend on the other side of the PC fence?
    Re: AMD Proc/MoBo combos?

DR

I bought my most recent system in December, and haven't followed things as closely since then. I'm not sure exactly what I would buy today.

I bought the Asus A8V-Deluxe at the time. It met my main requirements, but unfortunately it didn't work with my MIA board. Apparently other VIA KT-800Pro mobos work with the MIA, but not this particulat Asus. Oh well, I'm now running an M-Audio 192 with great results. I can run up to five GPulse instances on my 3000+ cpu.

My requirements are:
    * 939 socket (The A8V Deluxe is a 939 board)
    * Good performance (the A8V was good, but not tops)
    * Solid reliability (Asus has a fine reputation)
    * Compatability with GS3 (yes)
    * Gigabit Ethernet (yes)
    * SATA (yes)
    * No fan (yes)
    * Compatible with the very best heatsinks (yes)

I didn't go for the nForce3 boards at that time, because they all had fans. nForce4 was brand new at the time. I'd like to know if others have had success with GS3 and popular pro soundcards.

Regarding nForce3 boards, I've read good things about Gigabit and MSI's offerings.

Regarding nForce4, I don't really have a need for SLI video, and I don't know if they offer any other benefits for audio.

Regarding dual core support, most 939 boards can do dual core, given that the BIOS update is provided.

For my heatsink I went for a Thermalright XP-120. The Asus supported it. The MSI didn't. I also considered the large radial Zalman heatsinks.

For RAM I went with OCZ Platinum Rev 2 with 2-2-2-5 timing. A nice thing about AMD is that it makes good use of DDR RAM. Intel often pushes for more expensive stuff.

For processors, AMD has released a new family or two since I got my 3000+ Newcastle. I generally look for the sweet spot for price and performance. I don't know that I'd go for dual core yet, but they have some newer chips that support the latest SSE instruction sets. The Venice family is the trick for 512K cache, but a 3700+ SanDiego with its 1M cache might be the way to go.

I hope this helps.

-JF

HI,

IF you are going to buy Intel. and your going to be buying a new processor.

then you want the 945/955 chipset which supports dual core 775 socket
    or single 775 socket.

if you are replacing a mobo for 478 pin then get the 865 chipset.
    unless you need all the stuff on the P4C800E.

at this point if your buying a mobo and CPU your nuts to not buy dual core.

Scott
    ADK

personally i would go AMD 939 single or dual core.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful and appreciated.

Best,
    Didier

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I bought my most recent system in December, and haven't followed things as closely since then. I'm not sure exactly what I would buy today.

I bought the Asus A8V-Deluxe at the time. It met my main requirements, but unfortunately it didn't work with my MIA board. Apparently other VIA KT-800Pro mobos work with the MIA, but not this particulat Asus. Oh well, I'm now running an M-Audio 192 with great results. I can run up to five GPulse instances on my 3000+ cpu.

My requirements are:
    * 939 socket (The A8V Deluxe is a 939 board)
    * Good performance (the A8V was good, but not tops)
    * Solid reliability (Asus has a fine reputation)
    * Compatability with GS3 (yes)
    * Gigabit Ethernet (yes)
    * SATA (yes)
    * No fan (yes)
    * Compatible with the very best heatsinks (yes)

I didn't go for the nForce3 boards at that time, because they all had fans. nForce4 was brand new at the time. I'd like to know if others have had success with GS3 and popular pro soundcards.

Regarding nForce3 boards, I've read good things about Gigabit and MSI's offerings.

Regarding nForce4, I don't really have a need for SLI video, and I don't know if they offer any other benefits for audio.

Regarding dual core support, most 939 boards can do dual core, given that the BIOS update is provided.

For my heatsink I went for a Thermalright XP-120. The Asus supported it. The MSI didn't. I also considered the large radial Zalman heatsinks.

For RAM I went with OCZ Platinum Rev 2 with 2-2-2-5 timing. A nice thing about AMD is that it makes good use of DDR RAM. Intel often pushes for more expensive stuff.

For processors, AMD has released a new family or two since I got my 3000+ Newcastle. I generally look for the sweet spot for price and performance. I don't know that I'd go for dual core yet, but they have some newer chips that support the latest SSE instruction sets. The Venice family is the trick for 512K cache, but a 3700+ SanDiego with its 1M cache might be the way to go.

I hope this helps.

-JF

IS this a PCI express board or AGP?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    IS this a PCI express board or AGP?
    AGP.

- Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by sbkp
    AGP.

- Stefan
    Correct. Thanks Stefan.

-JF

I have the intel chipset as opposed to the via which can be problematic. Good solid board but perhaps not quite as stable as an intel board which is probably what I will get next.

Go Back to forum