Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN - Demos Posted

Share/Bookmark

STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN - Demos Posted

STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN

A New & Revolutionary Approach to Expressive Sampling

Created by Giorgio Tommasini, Stefano Lucato and Gary Garritan

http://www.garritan.com/stradivari.html

AES 2005/New York, NY - October 7, 2005 - At the AES 2005 show, Garritan Libraries demonstrated a technological breakthrough in virtual instrumentation with the release of its new Stradivari Solo Violin. This library is the first to feature an exclusive new technology which allows sample sound waves to be aligned in order to 'sonically morph' into each other, something that has never been available until now. Morphing describes what can be seen in motion pictures where there is a gradual transformation from one image into another. This basic concept has now been applied to sound samples allowing sound samples to smoothly morph into each other.

With the Stradivari Solo Violin, using exclusive harmonic alignment technology developed by Giorgio Tommasini, you can seamlessly morph between different dynamics and hear authentic timbre changes as notes become louder or softer. Sophisticated modal resonance technology allows you to control the onset, intensity and rate of vibrato, impart portamento and much more. In addition, a powerful AI midi processor allows you to change or create articulations in real time, change the type of attack or bow direction, impart legato, play trills & tremolo and have an infinite variety of playing possibilities at your fingertips. All this in real time!

The result of these technologies is extraordinary levels of realism, expressiveness and virtuosic performance capabilities in a way that preserves the natural characteristics of the Stradivari Violin. This instrument leaps to life beneath your fingertips!

The Stradivari Violin Sample Library

Stradivari is a name synonymous with quality. The Stradivari Violin is regarded by many as having the most beautiful tone of any instrument. An instrument of this distinction required the latest technology to not only faithfully capture its legendary sounds, but also to make it a 'playable' instrument that is responsive to the user. With the Stradivari Solo Violin, the user can actually play this instrument in real-time and morph between dynamics with virtually an infinite number of levels. Real time sound shaping provides a variety of articulations never before possible. The user has masterful control of vibrato, influencing the onset, intensity and rate of vibrato. The user can play tremolo, trills, sforzando, double stops, impart portamento, and perform many other violin techniques.

The Stradivari Solo Violin sample library was created by Giorgio Tommasini, Stefano Lucato and Gary Garritan. "We have spent several years researching and developing this process," said Dr. Giorgio Tommasini, inventor of the harmonic alignment technology. "Sampling technology is regarded as the best way to reproduce the sound of real musical instruments, but it has not been possible to get the expression of solo instrument samples due to its limitations. This new approach will provide unprecedented levels of fidelity and expression." The rules of sampling have been rewritten with this library.

The Stradivari Solo Violin is the first instrument based on this innovative technology. An upcoming complete series of solo strings instruments, for which Garritan Libraries has exclusive use of this groundbreaking technology, is currently underway.

The Stradivari Solo Violin is initially available as a Kontakt 2 library for the Macintosh and PC platforms. It will also be developed as a virtual instrument in a sample player. The introductory price is $199 which represents an extraordinary value for this groundbreaking instrument.

To hear demos of this amazing instrument, or for more information, go to http://www.garritan.com/stradivari.html.

Pre-Orders are now being accepted and shipping is expected late November.

Re: STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN - Demos Posted

The demos are great, and they sound beautiful espically the slow ones. But like orage blossom, was that played live or programmed note by note? same with the others? Just wondering?

Thumbs up Re: STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN - Demos Posted

This is really amazing. Each note is flowing into the next with musical emotion and in 'real time'. That alone is worth the price of admission.

I also like the natural 'not fooled around with' tone as well. It leaves many options for personal EQ and the like.

Best to the Garritan team,

Bela D Media

This sounds exactly like the additive synthesis that Eric Lindemann used to create Synful... I had a workshop with him in Colorado this summer, and from the way his technology works -- blending one sample into the next in real time -- sounds like the same deal, more or less.

Can anyone clarify on this?

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Stunning!

In particular the slower pieces demonstrate the Stradivari truly "singing". The Garritan team has to be congratulated for this remarkable achievement. Indeed a milestone!

Steve,

This is totally different technology than Synful. Please check out the link to the Garritan website on more details of how Sonic Morphing and harmonic alignment work.

Sorry, I couldnt really find any information on how it works. Only this:

The samples morph into each other seamlessly with no doubling, phasing or sonic discontinuity. The result is extraordinary levels of realism, playability and expressiveness while preserving the natural characteristics of the instrument.
    I'm still unclear as to how the process works, but... regardless, the demos sound great, Garritan team. Nicely done. If the technology, or at least the concept is similar, I am really looking forward to the layers of control. Vibrato, etc.

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Some wrong notes in the Tchiak Viol Concerto: which immediately gives it away as being sampled. Also, the interpretation is WAAAY WOOODEN.

Sheherazade: much better, although the clarinet gives the sampling away, the violin is pretty darn good!

The Massenet interpretation is WOOODEN, the timing by the clock! But the violin tone is great, nonetheless. If the interpretation could be loosened up?!!!???? Then we'd have something completely convincing.

Technical demo of violin riffs of various kinds is impressive.

JG

Is no one gonna answer my question? All i wanted to know was if the demos were palyes live or programed. I think that is a fair question, Gary can you tell me please?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    Some wrong notes in the Tchiak Viol Concerto: which immediately gives it away as being sampled.
    John, Could you let me know which notes are wrong. Were there too many notes? . It could be just artistic license/player interpretion (especially much of it was played in real time) but let me know and we'll look into it and perhaps do another version.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    The Massenet interpretation is WOOODEN, the timing by the clock! But the violin tone is great, nonetheless. If the interpretation could be loosened up?!!!???? Then we'd have something completely convincing.
    There were two Massenet versions and not sure which you were referring to. We'll try to give the player a couple of martinis next time.

Go Back to forum