• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN - Demos posted

Share/Bookmark

Re: STRADIVARI SOLO VIOLIN - Demos posted

The Stradivaro Solo Violin was designed to be played in real-time. Rather than hunting and loading different articulations in multiple tracks, the idea was to have an instrument that would just play.One of the breakthroughs in this instrument is that the samples are phased aligned allowing for realtime crossfades across several dynamic layers.
    This process, invented by Giorgio Tommasini, assures that there can no phasing problems (usually associated with solo samples) when samples are crossfaded.

Phase Aligned samples vs. Traditional Sampling

Phase aligning samples allow sound samples to 'morph' into each other seamlessly. Morphing can be seen in motion pictures where there is a gradual transformation from one image into another. This basic concept has been applied to sound samples using this exclusive technology.

Traditional sample libraries use discontinuous samples and transitioning between different dynamic levels (pp, mp, mf, ff) or different vibrato levels (non-vibrato, normal vibrato or lush vibrato) cause the listener to hear two distinct instruments (doubling) during transitions with disjointed tones and phasing issues. It simply was not possible to have smooth transitions applied to solo instruments samples.

The diagram below illustrates what a user hears during traditional sampling transitions.

By Phase Aligning the samples....

The samples morph into each other seamlessly with no doubling, phasing or sonic discontinuity. There are endless gradients between samples rather than discrete and limited snapshots. The result is extraordinary levels of realism and expressiveness while preserving the natural characteristics of the instrument.

Instrument body modal resonance impulse responses were also used in this instruement. There is the ability to impart vibrato - where the user can control the onset, speed and intensity of the vibrato in real-time. The instrument also has automatic real-time legato & portamento.

You can listen to demos here: http://www.garritan.com/stradivari.html

Gary Garritan

gary & others,

I own Kompakt, which, for those not in the know, is a stripped down version of Kontakt. Will the Stradivari Solo work with this?
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Quote Originally Posted by nigamshah
    gary & others,

I own Kompakt, which, for those not in the know, is a stripped down version of Kontakt. Will the Stradivari Solo work with this?
    No. It relies on advanced scripting and convolution features only available in Kontakt 2.

Tom

I AM SPECHLESS!!!!!!!
    Only my congrats for Gary and his team!!!!

you are definely my preferred!!

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    [size=3][size=2]
    The Stradivari Solo Violin is initially available as a Kontakt 2 library for the Macintosh and PC platforms. Gary Garritan
    Initially? Will it later be possible to use it with the kontakt player shiped with GPO?

Björn

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrom
    Initially? Will it later be possible to use it with the kontakt player shiped with GPO?

Björn
    No, but like GPO and JABB (and GPOA I assume), it will have its own custom Kontakt player from Native Instruments. NI makes a lot of these custom players, whether as Kontakt or Kompakt players, for various libraries all the time and for a LOT of different companies. They receive a library programmed and developed in Kontakt 2 from Garritan, for example, and then they in turn create a custom player for THAT particular library. It is a custom player because it only PLAYS that particular library's samples, and also only provides controllers and features that are needed for that particular library. All the non-essential stuff has been stripped away. I assume one of the hold-ups for releasing things very quickly is because NI is very busy creating these custom players all the time.

I could be wrong about how things are developed, but the above is logical.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

WoW

Not sure when I'll be able to swing this as Kontakt 2... hopefully the VST version will be available soon... but it's a definite "must have". Unbelievable!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    No, but like GPO and JABB (and GPOA I assume), it will have its own custom Kontakt player from Native Instruments. Jerry
    Does that mean that you can use it together with GPO, even if they have different players?

Björn

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrom
    Does that mean that you can use it together with GPO, even if they have different players?

Björn
    Hey Björn,
    Each will have its own Kontakt player. GPO Kontakt player will not open up any other library, including other Garritan products. The Garritan Solo Stradivari Kontakt Player (when released) will not open up GPO or any other library but its own.

But, if you own Kontakt 2, you can open all Kontakt-based libraries.

But - as Tom Hopkins has pointed out, there are some programming features that are concretely set in the special custom players that would require someone opening GPO in Kontakt 2, to do a lot of re-programming to have the same controls. (thinking of portamento and variation controls specifically.)
    So, in a sense, using the Players that come with these libraries is actually easier for the non-tech person, than opening up everything in Kontakt 2.

I hope the above made sense. It is early for a Saturday. (6:45 AM)

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Yes thank you!

Will not disturb you during the morning more.
    Here it is saturday afternoon.

Björn

Go Back to forum