• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DFH....Which one?

Share/Bookmark

DFH....Which one?

Little confused on which one to get, The original with add on pack or DFH 2?...Hard hitting drums is a must and variety would be nice but I don't need all the options of sticks,brushes,mic placement,etc that superior offers....I already have kontakt 1 and 2 and kompakt and gs3 so playback wouldn't be an issue on the original set...The original looks nice with the add on pack but is all that included in DFH 2 plus some? I just want the close mic sound and I'll add my own ambience if desired to save on the cpu...Thanks for any insight....Moon

Re: DFH....Which one?

DFH 2 is good, Superior is overkill unless you're a drummer. I own DFH 2 and I use it sporadically because it's primarily only good (IMHO) for rock stuff. NS Kit (do a Google search) is pretty good too for that type of sound.

Have you looked at Artist Drums? That's also a good alternative.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

DFH 2 comes with its own Kompact player and DFH 1 is designed to work with Battery or some similar host so that can be a factor in deciding. I really like the Sonor kit that was the basic kit for DFH 1. Seek out the Toontrack forum (not sure if it's cool to post the url) and you can find lots of info on the differences in the DFH series.

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    DFH 2 is good, Superior is overkill unless you're a drummer. I own DFH 2 and I use it sporadically because it's primarily only good (IMHO) for rock stuff.
    That's exactly why Superior isn't an overkill. It can do A LOT more than just rock. I have several other libraries but for natural drums I always end up with Superior even if I wanted to try something else first. I'm especially fond of the repetition system. Every sample library should have atleast four alternations for every sample. I want VSL weighing a TB. I always choose a fitting snare and cymbals to the song, Superior gives so many options. For bass drum I usually go with Fibes, it even wipes the floor with Sonor for rock stuff.

I'd suggest either Superior or Custom/Vintage. Both are quite amazing, very flexible, and I can say that I've fooled record lables, mastering guys, etc. with the realism of tones, playability, etc. I'm thrilled with both of these libraries and don't feel that I'm missing anything.

I have to agree with that. Even if you don't find yourself taking advantage of all the different kits available in DFHS (and chances are if you had it you would) the increased playability and mixability and resulting sound make it hands down the one to have (or C&V, I sort of lump them together). For a little extra money you're getting an astronomical increase in realism. Levi is right- a guy mastering a project I did with DFHS at Masterphonics in Nashville actually called me up just to talk about how amazing the drums were. The client had told him they were "keyboard drums" and he was prepered for the worst

Just ordered Superior....Thanks for the info!...I did some browsing at other places and the general opinion is the same as mentioned here..Superior is well worth the extra $$$....Thanks guys....moon

Quote Originally Posted by levi
    I'd suggest either Superior or Custom/Vintage. Both are quite amazing, very flexible, and I can say that I've fooled record lables, mastering guys, etc. with the realism of tones, playability, etc. I'm thrilled with both of these libraries and don't feel that I'm missing anything.
    Well, you are missing a Fireface, but I won't hold it against you!

In all seriousness though, I've heard Levi's tracks, and they are nothing short of astounding with what he pulls out of those kits!

Superior/Custom-Vintage is a wise buy indeed.

Best! -Tweed

Just wondering if any of you have experiences with other comprehensive drum products like FXpansion's BFD or Scarbee Emperial Drums, and how they compare to the DFH series? (Are there other comprehensive drum products out there?)

Echoing what Kays said, I think the NS kit has a good thing going for it. Before I bought into the Superior kit, I messed around with the NS7free kit, triggering it from my V-drums. It showed great potential for what a "full" version could offer. I haven't purchased the full kit, so it's kind of speculative, but optimistically so.

-Tweed

Go Back to forum