• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tips on the GPO Trumpet?

Share/Bookmark

Tips on the GPO Trumpet?

The sound I'm getting from the Trumpet is inconsistent, and never completely adequate.

When I have a section of Trumpets, they're almost acceptable when playing with the rest of the brass, but not when they're carrying a section on their own. They're always weak, almost like early Roland "trumpet" sounds which are notorious for sounding like buzzing flies trapped in jars.

I have Trumpet solo moments in the music I'm working on, but have had to re-score, reassign the line etc. since the solo Trumpet sticks out like a bad synth sound along side the rest of the GPO instruments which are sounding excellent.

One thing I've noticed is that the attack of the sound isn't consistently playing. It's as if the instrument gets stuck in Legato mode, with the characteristic spit attack missing.

At times, unpredictably, the attack will be there, and the Trumpet will sound much better, though still thin and unconvincing.

Is there something I could be doing wrong? I feel there might be a controller I'm accidentally using, or leaving dangling---or---?

Any thoughts on this problem? What do you folks do to use the Trumpet so it's more realistic?

rbowser

Re: Tips on the GPO Trumpet?

I do the following for the trumpet that seems to do the trick nicely...
    Double the part exactly in Tpt 1 and 2. Send Tpt 1&2 to the same mixer channel and EQ out the high a little (2.5k or thereabouts) and add some body to it (440hz'ish). Once you put reverb on it, you've got a much warmer sound. Of course, don't forget to do the breathing spots and phrasing nicely, this makes even more difference.

Re: Tips on the GPO Trumpet?

Thanks much, Derek

I'll try what you suggest--sounds very logical. Thanks also for confirming for me that it's not just my ears that find the solo trumpet a bit wanting straight out of the box.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by derekderek
    I do the following for the trumpet that seems to do the trick nicely...
    Double the part exactly in Tpt 1 and 2. Send Tpt 1&2 to the same mixer channel and EQ out the high a little (2.5k or thereabouts) and add some body to it (440hz'ish). Once you put reverb on it, you've got a much warmer sound. Of course, don't forget to do the breathing spots and phrasing nicely, this makes even more difference.

Go Back to forum