• Register
  • Help

Topic: Losing Midi to Giga w/USB Midisport

Share/Bookmark

Losing Midi to Giga w/USB Midisport

I'm using a USB Midisport 4x4 with Giga 160 and a Frontier Dakota sound card. I am consistently losing my midi connection to the gigastudio. If I go into settings all 4 of my Midisport usb ports are assigned to the Midi in ports, if I just click on one to reset it so the "apply" button is activated I can than hit apply and everything comes back and works fine for a while. Then, the connection disappears and I do it all again. I think I have all the latest drivers for everything but I am a long time Mac user and a relatively new Windows user so I could be missing something fundamental. Thanks for your help.

Re: Losing Midi to Giga w/USB Midisport

I’m under the impression that the MIDISport has always been problematic.

Have you installed the latest drivers? Can you use the Dakota MIDI ports instead?

I've got a MidiSport 1x1 and a 2x2 and used to use them with GS2.5 on WinXP (before GS3 came out). I occassionally had a similar problem. I found that I needed to have my keyboard turned on before powering up the PC, and this solved the problem.

-JF

I've actually got 2 Gigastudios both using their own Midisport 4x4. One works fine and has a Frontier Wave Center PCI card. On the problem machine, I was using the midi port on the Dakota card before the midisport and had a funny issue with it. It would also lose communication but only on midi channel 1. The only way to fix it would be to physically unplug the breakout cable and plug it back in. I thought maybe it was a funky connector on the card so I switched to the midisport. Besides, I want to use the Midisport so I can access all 4 midi banks. I just re-installed the Midisport driver but nothing has changed, still the same issue. Thanks for your speedy responses.

In case this has anything to do with it, as long as I'm continually working the midi stays connected. When it's inactive for a while it shuts off.

Quote Originally Posted by mew
    In case this has anything to do with it, as long as I'm continually working the midi stays connected. When it's inactive for a while it shuts off.
    In Device Manager, USB Controllers - Properties, click the 'Power Management' tab and uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' - it usually defaults to 'on' for USB hubs and some devices - could possibly be the cause of your symptoms.

HTH.

Go Back to forum