• Register
  • Help

Topic: XP service pack2 (SP2) !?!?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation XP service pack2 (SP2) !?!?

Hello guys,
    I would like to know if you noticed this problem.
    About one week ago I got back my computer after a crash. Before this I never installed SP2. The man who repaired my computer says that SP2 become important when you have different hard disks with RAID configuration.
    But what I see with SP2 installed is some problem with the midi channels.
    So If I start Kontakt (full) before run Finale (with maple connection) Finale is no longer ables to play the score. Basically I have to shout down Finale!
    This never happened before SP2 was installed on my PC.
    Also it seems that my Creative applications were a little bit slowed!!
    Is this a specific SP2 effect on the pc audio components or these problems come from a general slowing down of the system caused by SP2?

Thank you very much in advanced,
    Roberto

Re: XP service pack2 (SP2) !?!?

Hi Roberto.
    You should try www.microsoft.com and check for any driver issues. I believe there is something to do with multimedia drivers but I am not sure. I've been running SP2 for four weeks now and had some updates installed since concerning problems. I wasn't able to use Kontakt 1 for the longest time until lately. Even though, Kontakt still has issues however I can't say if they are related.
    Hope this helps.

Right now I am having tons of trouble opening pages on this forum!
    Styxx

Wink Re: XP service pack2 (SP2) !?!?

Thank you very much Mikey!!
    I have also noticed that this effect could be partially removed by switching off the Panda Antivirus!!
    This guy seems to be memory-sucker!!!!!
    And so Anytime I need to registrate my songs I need to switch off it!!

Strange beasts these Panda!!!

Thank you again Styxx!!

best,
    Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by beach
    Thank you very much Mikey!!
    I have also noticed that this effect could be partially removed by switching off the Panda Antivirus!!
    This guy seems to be memory-sucker!!!!!
    And so Anytime I need to registrate my songs I need to switch off it!!

Strange beasts these Panda!!!

Thank you again Styxx!!

best,
    Roberto
    Well, I have been running XP SP2 since it became available, and have not experienced any problems attributable to it. But anti-virus and other background programs can raise cain with your music system, as can almost any driver - printer, graphics, whatever!

To avoid forgetting to enable your Panda when going on line, it might be safer to change to something different. I use Norton, no problems. I have tried McAfee, but never again!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I have been running XP SP2 since it became available, and have not experienced any problems attributable to it. But anti-virus and other background programs can raise cain with your music system, as can almost any driver - printer, graphics, whatever!

To avoid forgetting to enable your Panda when going on line, it might be safer to change to something different. I use Norton, no problems. I have tried McAfee, but never again!

Richard
    Just to add some additional weight, I second all of Richard's experience.

Panda I have not used, but McAfee drove me half nuts. Norton AV is what I currently use (*not* the full suite, just the A/V).

As for SP2 specifically -- though I may be one of the fortunate few -- I have had literally no problems with it... other than having to tinker their bizarre "security" routines in Internet Explorer (which I truly believe even MicroSoft does not understand).

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

My short experience with Panda is all bad. In fact, Anti Virus programs are a scam. They do not prevent you from getting new viruses - only known ones - and half the time, they can't even clean the old ones. Panda caused system lockups, freezes and all kinds of trouble (It came free with a utility I have and I turned it off).

Norton was once the greatest thing on earth - now it does more damage than good.

My recommendation is a combination of Zone Alarm security suite (Vet sigs - not a bad anti-virus job for cleaning), System Suite 6 (which uses Trend Micro anti virus - one of the better systems), and Webroot Spysweeper.

Even then, I once got 19 viruses from a redirect (from a trojan), but before they could do anything SS6 detected them (couldn't clean most of them) - Spysweeper kept the exe's from auto running, and Zone Alarm cleaned most of the rest.
    ..and I am sticking to SP1

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Smile Re: XP service pack2 (SP2) !?!?

Thank you all guys, you are wonderful!!!
    Yes I think that the proble is in the antivirus instead of SP2 pack!!!
    Indeed when I have panda antivirus inactivated I get best results with GPO!!!
    It seems that this antivirus is able to create some trouble both with the soundcard and the system in general!!

Anyway when I register with GPO I turn it off!!! I am sorry that pandas are in extinction, but my GPO has to sound...eh....

Thank you all.
    Best,
    Roberto

Go Back to forum