• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is my music good enough or even suitable for Games????

Share/Bookmark

Is my music good enough or even suitable for Games????

Hi all
    I'm hoping to get into writing music for any kind of media I can get my hands on, and recently I've noticed that game music is getting absolutely amazing. I must admit am not the biggest gamer but I'd love to write music for some of the games out there.
    I basically was wondering if I could get some of u guys who will know alot about gaming to give me there opinion on whether my music would suit a game or for that matter even sound good enough to be in a game.

I have a few tracks on my music page on my web site
    http://www.cphproductions.co.uk

or u can listen at

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=430988&T=1737

I'd really love any feed back u could give me.

Thanks so much

Kindest regards Chris

Re: Is my music good enough or even suitable for Games????

Hi Chris,
    Listening to your music, I can tell you studied hard and have a good amount of skill.

I would be careful about games though .If you don't have a passion for them, then you may not do well writing music for them. It is not another composer gig. I love games and have kids around me that keep me up to date on all the cool stuff out there. I have a passion for film from childhood and played a lot of games so I bring a lot to both industries. I would go after what you are passionate about and write music for that.

Keith Kehrer
    Kamakaze Music

I think you have the skills Chris. Nice compositions, good mixing and your music emotes something which is crucial.

I think your demo music could use some improvement in the orchestrating/polishing department, most notabley the Battle of Fear and Doubt. It comes across a little thin, instrumentally. I can't tell you what to do, I can just say that it's possible to get your orchestra sounding more realistic than that, and I suspect it has to do with layering more instruments.

From the game companies that I've worked with, they've never given a contract to anyone based on their name or reputation. It always comes down to their submissions matching the style and feel that they're looking for. So I think you could probably score some games, you just have to submit your music enough times and run into that game/developer that matches your style.

Good Luck!
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Chris,

I like your stuff! I have a question: Assuming those Asian drums weren't recorded live by you, what sample library are they from? They sound amazing. I've been looking for a library that has some deep drums on it. Most of the percussion libraries I've found either have kits (sets), or lighter percussion (tambourines, bongos, shakers, etc.).

Thanks,
    TODD
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

http://www.toddkinsley.com

Hey Todd,
    I use the Acid CD Percussive Adventures and I think it is available in other formats .It has those big drums both in loops and samples. I used it on a demo track and it was th track that got me my last film job.

Keith Kehrer
    Kamakaze Music

QLRI has a lot of taiko patches. Storm Drum has some awesome large perc too. Of course the majority of content for both of those is not large perc.
    Michael Peter

play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Chris -

I think you've got some great stuff there - definitely great quality stuff that is well suited to today's games. You might want to branch out from the epic 'Hollywood' sound. I hear a lot of Hans Zimmer influence in there, and that market is quickly getting saturated. Taste of Sunrise shows you've got the chops to do other styles, so definitely explore that...

However, I agree with the above comments - if you don't have a passion for it, don't pursue it. This industry is getting more and more competitive, and simply being a 'good composer' will not get you far. There is much more to writing music for games than being able to write good music, and an intimate understanding of the industry and technologies is required to really excel at it.

You might try doing soundtrack work for some MODs or indie games just to get your feet wet and to see if you like it - who knows, maybe you'll find a new calling. But do yourself and your peers a favor - follow your passion. If you're passionate about film music, do that. If you're passionate about game music, do that. Don't do it just because it is an option...

Todd - A lot of this stuff sounds like Stormdrum to me. If you don't have it, you can't go wrong. Some excellent 'big' percussion samples in there.

Thanks so much for all ur guys kind words I really appreciate it.

I kind of agree about the games music point afew of u made, U definetly have to have a passion for something to really succeed in that area and I must admit, my main passion is films.
    By my point of saying I wasnt the biggest gamer in the world, is fair just because I dont really get the time but I love games always have. but I definetly agree I dont know what kind of things go into making game music (techniques) etc. But I'd love to learn.

But thanks anyway for the constructive comments

Tower: the sample library I use as most of u guest is Storm Drum, there is some great sounds on there, I would highly recommend it. I refuse to use the loops because 1. I wouldnt feel like the track was fully mine and 2. U can tell them a mile off.

hope that has helped in some way

Kindest Regards
    Chris

Glad we could help somewhat. All I can say is that from an artistic standpoint, I don't see how making music for games should be different than making music for film. The caveat being that in order to fulfill a game score as completely as a film, you really have to be creative with the use of interactive music. Making separate tracks that can play together or that can be exchanged fluidly.

It sounds like a big minus for games but in practice I think it's not more limiting than the limitations you'll run into doing any music where the end goal is to satisfy the client as opposed to satisfying your artistic sense. Sometimes those limitations are where the real art of music to media begins.
    Michael Peter

play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Go Back to forum