• Register
  • Help

Topic: pops/pauses vs latency- Soundcard issues?

Share/Bookmark

Question pops/pauses vs latency- Soundcard issues?

Let me first say that I’m very excited to have this wonderful program and that I’m sure it will exceed my expectations, I’m also anticipating very greatly to hear others works and to submit my own, as I only do this as a hobby. I’m a university student and have always enjoyed composing, and I couldn’t pass up this program for the price!

Anyways, I’m pretty much new to this experience, although I have had some experience with Cubase Vst v4.0. My main question is:

When I try to play a piece I’ve written with as little as 4 instruments, there seems to be pauses/ cracks that occur, and instruments cease to play at all for seconds or more. My soundcard is a Realtek AC97 audio, and I’m wondering if this may be the culprit, as my System includes a 2.6 Ghz processor and I have 1 Gb of Ram. I’m not too sure of the quality of this soundcard system, but I’m pretty sure its not that great, as it came with my computer system. Also, I am experiencing some latency with my instruments, and am wondering if the soundcard could be to blame as well, or if its just a case of my ASIO drivers.

There’s no possible way I can listen to a full orchestra if Cubase can’t even play 4 instruments together, so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Re: pops/pauses vs latency- Soundcard issues?

I'm having very similar experiences as well. You will record a song, with several different parts, and sometimes it can take as long as 20-30 seconds before all of the parts suddenly "come in". As for latency, I also await a reply on my topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fels
    You will record a song, with several different parts, and sometimes it can take as long as 20-30 seconds before all of the parts suddenly "come in".
    Whenever I have that problem, I find it's because there's no mod wheel data occurring before the first note of the track. Only when all the tracks have played some mod wheel information are all the parts up to their intended levels. (Similarly, when starting playback in the middle of the piece, the parts will come in one by one as they encounter mod wheel data.)
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Thanks, but we're still drawing dead on the latency. I think maybe I'll just buy a new sound card, that's probably the problem anyway.

Hi,

Yes, the soundcard is an obvious suspect for latency and drop-off issues if you're running 2.6Ghz and 1GB, but have you tried WDM drivers just to see what might happen?

As far as pops/clicks crackles, etc., disabling a modem or network card can help, and having a dedicated HD for Audio only can definitely help. Does Cubase VST4 have a "freeze" function? If it does, you can free up system resources by using that.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    Hi,

Yes, the soundcard is an obvious suspect for latency and drop-off issues if you're running 2.6Ghz and 1GB, but have you tried WDM drivers just to see what might happen?

As far as pops/clicks crackles, etc., disabling a modem or network card can help, and having a dedicated HD for Audio only can definitely help. Does Cubase VST4 have a "freeze" function? If it does, you can free up system resources by using that.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty basic when it comes to computers, how would I go about trying a WDM driver? Also, what does "having a dedicated HD for Audio only" suggest?

So I guess that the soundcard is not responsible for the cracks/pops, but is responsible for the latency? Could the soundcard cause those pops though, or is that due to poor memory?

Matt,
    The Realtek AC97 soundcard that you're referring to must be the one that's built into the motherboard. Right? I believe this is the main problem.

You need to get a higher quality card with better drivers. The most important factors for a system that is supporting GPO are memory, CPU, and soundcard. You are OK on the memory and CPU...probably (*).

Many members of this forum have recommended the M-Audio 2496 soundcard. It's apparently a good card and can be purchased for less than $100US. (I don't have one, so I can't give you a personal rec).

(*)BTW, if your 2.6GHz CPU is a Celeron, you will probably continue to have some issues with latency, even with a better soundcard.
    Bill

Smile Re: pops/pauses vs latency- Soundcard issues?

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Matt,
    The Realtek AC97 soundcard that you're referring to must be the one that's built into the motherboard. Right? I believe this is the main problem.

You need to get a higher quality card with better drivers. The most important factors for a system that is supporting GPO are memory, CPU, and soundcard. You are OK on the memory and CPU...probably (*).

Many members of this forum have recommended the M-Audio 2496 soundcard. It's apparently a good card and can be purchased for less than $100US. (I don't have one, so I can't give you a personal rec).

(*)BTW, if your 2.6GHz CPU is a Celeron, you will probably continue to have some issues with latency, even with a better soundcard.
    Thanks for the insight Bill, and yes the soundcard is built into the motherboard. I was tinkering around with my ASIO drivers and have switched from using the MME ASIO driver the the direct X one, and it has made all the difference for some reason. Although I have to switch buffer sample size occasionaly if I want to record at a low latency, the sounds are coming in crystal clear. I will eventually have to get a new soundcard though (Christmas present?) so thanks for recommending that one.

Matt

Go Back to forum