• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT, but want to confess, and get this off my chest

Share/Bookmark

OT: But want to confess, and move on

Hi folks, I found these forums last year after discovering the wonderful GPO library, and it's still by far my favorite DAW related site, even though I've subsequently participated in others.

But I shamed myself and thus became a self-exile, as I felt really bad about:

1) Enlisting to do Silent Night last year, and then not delivering as promised. What happened was I was brand new to the soft-synth stuff, and got stupidly and egotistically obsessed with creating a "be-all, end-all" standout version, when in truth I'm not only an average piano player at best, but couldn't navigate the soft tools competently, and begain to get really stressed over producing a version of the song that I felt confident about sharing.

So last October, I decided to get a little bottle of red wine to help stir my creative inspiration. This is not necessarily a bad idea, but it is a disasterous idea for me because I'm an alcoholic. I state this as a simple matter of fact, period. I don't normally have a drinking problem, and can handle booze just fine, as long as I don't drink the stuff!

2) I also got involved a little in the pre-US election political debates, which I shouldn't have, as I don't believe such has a legitimate place here. It can only serve to corrupt the cooperative spirit of music appreciation and learning, which is one of this site's strongest assets.

So I ran away with my tail between my legs...

I'm well aware that my petty little hang-ups are not worth taking up space in you folks' brains, and I don't ask for any responses to this thread, I just wanted to get this out of my system, and begin to rejoin these discussions, mostly to learn what I can, and then as I learn, to contribute what I can.

Re: OT, but want to confess, and get this off my chest

"because"....... Me too!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Hi I accidently posted before completing the thought. But you're response, BlueMax, couldn't be more dead-on anyway!

Michael, I suspect that you're being unnecessarily apologetic . It's just good to see your name here again.

Frank

Like Frank said... It's great to see your name again,
    dpDan

Cool Re: OT, but want to confess, and get this off my chest

Thanks dpDan and Frank, vice versa.

While I'm not short of friends in the real world, I literally have no one in my life who shares an interest in DAWs, so except for online resources, I'm on my own. These forums are unique in that people on all levels of music and tech know-how can post questions or comments without being told what (insert pejorative comment here) they are. And that's refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    Thanks dpDan and Frank, vice versa.

While I'm not short of friends in the real world, I literally have no one in my life who shares an interest in DAWs, so except for online resources, I'm on my own. These forums are unique in that people on all levels of music and tech know-how can post questions or comments without being told what (insert pejorative comment here) they are. And that's refreshing.
    Exactly the same situation here, man. Welcome back! It's a great place to hang out....

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    I literally have no one in my life who shares an interest in DAWs, so except for online resources, I'm on my own.
    I was in the same boat as you Quasar, until I started trading emails with some folks here that use the same DAW as I do.

I can now say that I am not alone. There are quite a few fine folks that I have met here, and become good friends with. We talk on a semi-regular basis about Digital Performer as well as other forum topics. I am going to be helping one of our members here tonight. He is going to call me, and I am going to get his new MOTU Traveler audio interface and RME digiface soundcard working between his PC and Mac setup. He will be running GPO on the PC and DP on his Mac.
    It's a wonderful community of friends.

dpDan

Re: OT: But want to confess, and move on

Welcome home, Michael!

Jim

Quasar, you should ask those folks that don't have DAW's, what is wrong with them, and what are they doing with their misspent lives??? Just kidding, welcome back...

Go Back to forum