• Register
  • Help

Topic: March to Yggdrasil

Share/Bookmark

March to Yggdrasil

Well, I'm still waiting on my copy of SONAR 5 to arrive. Blasted mail not arriving on Sundays! In any case, while my finishing of several projects depends on playing around with the new software, I thought I'd share one other piece I reworked into GPO sounds.

This piece is part of a larger work I created last Spring called Dreamer's Path. It was about 30 mins in length and involved live pieces in a sort of celtic style, recorded sounds, and songs (which I sung). This is a portion towards the middle called March to Yggdrasil, where the main character (the Dreamer) meets up with a group of nomads on their journey to the great World Tree Yggdrasil (taken from Norse mythology). So they begin their lopsided march (in 3!) towards the tree.

The instrumentation is simple: Flute, Clarinet, Contrabass & Vibraphone

Enjoy!

March to Yggdrasil

Re: March to Yggdrasil

Leif,
    Nice work...I look forward to hearing more!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thumbs up Re: March to Yggdrasil

This is great Cobalt I really like it simply and wonderful!!

Great the use of the woods.
    Congratulations.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Roberto

What a neat piece, Cobalt!

Very astute and effective use of the woods.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Well done, Leif! It has a captivating middle earth flavor. Nice touch writing a march in triple meter. Will we hear the rest of this work?
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Red face Re: March to Yggdrasil

Thanks for the comments everyone It's a shorter piece, but hopefully it holds up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Well done, Leif! It has a captivating middle earth flavor. Nice touch writing a march in triple meter. Will we hear the rest of this work?
    Sure!

Some of the portions are GPO-ized, some are pre-recorded, some are from the live performance, others could only be produced live without taking away too much from the piece... The playing quality is somewhat iffy on some of the live pieces, but the overall arc should be there... Here we go

Dreamer's Path

Wow, great work! I love the contrast and interplay between the woodwinds, very effective. Thanks for sharing the rest of the work, I look forward to listening these other links you just posted. Nice job!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Very interesting work. The use of stand alone recorded sounds reminds me of Stockhausen. The Lives of Trees, Edge of the Forest and Sight of the Trees were very enjoyable. The keyboard passages in the Dreamer Awakes is definately worth developing further. Is that you singing?
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Very interesting work. The use of stand alone recorded sounds reminds me of Stockhausen. The Lives of Trees, Edge of the Forest and Sight of the Trees were very enjoyable. The keyboard passages in the Dreamer Awakes is definately worth developing further. Is that you singing?
    Thanks! Yes, that's me singing The piano piece played in Dreamer Awakes is actually already quite full-fledged. I had written it years ago and recorded a friend of mine playing it in order to create the piece. It's now in my CD alarm clock just like the piece depicts, so it's always what I wake up to I could see about GPOizing it and posting it later on perhaps.

Go Back to forum