• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Is there a big different between Stylus RMX and Reason?

Share/Bookmark

Is there a big different between Stylus RMX and Reason?

I'm just wondering if you have Stylus RMX and Atmosphere, is it going to give you a remarkably different product than Reason 3?? The reason I ask is because I listen to the demos and they don't sound that remarkably different... Granted, I'm not that savvy in electronic music dance oriented stuff, but for those who use both, I"m just wondering about advantages and disadvantages, and is there a difference in the end result?... Any info appreciated, thanks...

Re: Is there a big different between Stylus RMX and Reason?

Some similarities, but some big differences too.

Although I am the creator of RMX and Atmosphere, I''ve always been a big fan and avid user/proponent of Reason/Rebirth/ReCycle as well...so hopefully it's OK for me to comment on the Propellerheads vs Spectrasonics approaches.

There are of course some major differences like that Reason is an entire app and RMX and Atmosphere are plug-ins. Many other differences come from the fact that Propellerheads started as a pure software company, and Spectrasonics as a pure sound developer. Now Props are getting more into the sound design aspect and Spectrasonics has become a real software company.

Here are some of my opinions about the relative strengths comparing the two:

• Reason is a full sequencing and modular sound design environment. Not as strong on the sequencing side as Logic/Cubase/DP/Sonar, etc...but not too bad for simpler writing. Reason has a good selection of nearly every type of device to work with, but the real strength of Reason is in the patching capability when you get around the back of the rack units. Then you can try almost anything you want and there are a lot of great tricks. Reason is very flexible and fun to use.

Sound quality-wise, Reason's basic audio engine is a bit dull sounding though. It's not as pure or fat a basic sound as RMX or Atmosphere. We spent a huge amount of time creating great sounding basic engines with UVI and SAGE. It's definitely possible to get great sounding stuff out of Reason, but it takes more processing to do this. (you can tell a huge difference in the audio engine just by playing the same REX file in Reason and in RMX.) Reason has some truly great and unique modules though, like Maelstrom and Scream, but other modules aren't quite as cool as many other instruments these days. It's main strength is on it's flexibility and integrated approach.

Oh...and it's also amazingly CPU efficient!

Biggest downside is that Rewire is more of a hassle to work with than plug-ins are (IMHO). Once you start working with great plug-in instruments like RMX, Atmosphere and other high quality instruments that integrate into hosts well, it's hard to go back to the Rewire style "non-plug-in" approach of an app running in the background of your main host.

• In comparison, I'd say that our strengths with Atmosphere and RMX are that we dedicated way more energy into doing a couple of things at a very high level, especially in terms of sound design depth. Props are just now realizing that Pro level high quality sound design is extremely important....and that's our expertise and experience. Also, in the case of RMX/Groove Control, we've taken the slicing concepts that were pioneered in ReCycle and Dr REX and gone much farther with them in terms of flexibility, ease of use and sound quality. Dr. REX has nothing like Edit Groups, Chaos Designer, the Browser or Groove Menu mode for just a couple of examples.

Also, the quality of all of our FX Units and Filters in RMX is consistently very high.

I hasten to add that I make these comparisons with the utmost respect for Propellerheads and what they have achieved with Reason. In many ways, their work is a standard by which all music software/virtual instrument companies judge their work...so they are the pioneers and deserve extreme credit for what they started! It is in fact a great honor for us to be compared to them. :-)

Although I use our stuff like Atmosphere/Stylus RMX/Trilogy more now, I would NEVER get rid of Reason. There are many things it does that are unique and super cool....especially Maelstrom! :-)

And you already know how I feel about Spectrasonics stuff! :-)

At the end of the day.....different sets of tools for different approaches of working.

spectrum

Agree with reason having a dull non professional sound!
    I do own Trilogy and the sound quality is terrific, you can call that professional sound.

Recycle is still a very helpfull tool for me.

Once you start working with great plug-in instruments like RMX, Atmosphere and other high quality instruments that integrate into hosts well, it's hard to go back to the Rewire style "non-plug-in" approach of an app running in the background of your main host.
    I agree 100%, but at the same time I wish every host program were capable of being both a ReWire slave and host. It would be really useful to be able to stream, say, Pro Tools into the Logic mixer, for example (over ethernet if I really wanted to fantasize). Or v.v. Also, you can access more memory if one program is ReWired into another on a G5, since each program can access "up to" 4GB.

I'm not quite sure why - processing power maybe? - but sometimes running programs outside a host feels a little like a house of cards, e.g. Kontakt 2 outside Logic. But ReWiring Reason or Live - which can host RMX - into Logic is perfectly solid. Go figure.

I think Eric gave a very fair and objectiving opinion which I agree with 99.9999%.
    I use both, but I use spectrasonics stuff much more, for quality of sounds and simplicity in use (both in design and vsti vs. rewire)

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

I use Reason and I'm thinking of getting Stylus. I don't find the Reason engine unpro sounding but just very naked sounding and in need of plugin help. The effects have become almost useless except for the Scream unit.

Reason is very easy to use but I'm having a hard time with it with loops and meter changes.

With all respects to Eric I love what I've heard of Stylus and atmoshpere and would use atomosphere I think for synth work on drama movies and such. Stylus works well with high end jazzy type sounds like John Powell uses. But for my needs I use electronic stuff mostly for urban sounds and I find that Spect's stuff is a bit too rich in sound. This just judging from the demos.

For that lo-fi urban sound that's popular in contemporary movies and TV I'd lean towards Reason. I know it's a favorite of many TV composers.

But like I said, I'm leaning towards Specs stuff these days. But I'm a little afraid as I think it blends too well with the orchestral stuff.

Ars

That's hilarious! :-)

When we came out with the original Stylus Vinyl Groove module, some comments were that the library was way too dirty, lofi and urban....and now it's apparently too clean! LOL! :-)

Just for the record, all of the original vinyl stuff from Classic is in RMX and there are literally thousands of urban oriented elements. The new Urban Kits we just added to 1.5 in particular are pretty cool and quite rough sounding.

It's a very versatile instrument and you can get it to sound how ever you want...I wouldn't worry at all about it being "too rich". :-)

The FX have many great presets for getting serious grunge and funk happening!

Check out RMX 1.5 fully before rendering any judgement like that....it's deep on a lot of levels.

Giving it some serious thought. Thanks.

Hey how does Stylus do with meter changes?

Ars

RMX definitely has some nice urban sounds. I get the most out of it by taking parts from that and combining it with my own collection of tens of thousands of various acoustic and electronic samples, then processing them both in different ways. For my latest album, what I'd often do is take a groove I liked from RMX, add some chaos, slice it up a bit, and then reinforce it with my own samples and grooves. I'd also regularly use the groove elements feature to inject some 'life' into my sequences, through shaker/conga/hihat (etc) patterns. RMX is definitely a versatile tool for any kind of music you're doing.

With Reason 3, you do have a pretty wide variety of sounds, but its main focus isn't percussion. It doesn't really have a main focus - it's a soft studio, so you can sort of go where you want with it. To me it's sort of like comparing apples to oranges.. I love 'em both (though to be honest I'm not a HUGE fan of Reason's percussive library, and find myself using RMX more).
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I feel the same way as Nova. I like trip-hop, drum n' bass kind of stuff. I notice that a lot of the rhythmic elements in that kind of music is very... dirty, sometimes off-center, raw, lo-fi, URBAN, ect. RMX is generally the complete opposite (which I also like!) - very processed, super-tight.

As much as I love (I'm using *love* here) RMX, I'd like to see some stuff in that genre. Just personally more into that lo-fi..ish sound.

Go Back to forum