• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hung notes in 3.12

Share/Bookmark

Hung notes in 3.12

I was delighted when my audio mixdown problems in Cubase were fixed with the new version of Gigastudio...However!...the new version yields hung notes during REGULAR playback, and this NEVER used to occur...audio mixdowns don't seem to include the hung notes, but it is very frustating and I can never get an idea of how my compositions sound due to overly-sustained notes...

Could it be there is an added option with Gigastudio 3.12 that has been turned on, and I just need to disable it? What causes hung notes in general?

Thanks for any help, I tried to search for the answer, but couldn't find anything...

Andy

Question Re: Hung notes in 3.12

I'm having the same problem... MANY stuck notes after updating to 3.12... almost unusable. I emailed Tascam and suggested more frequent updates. There are also industry standards for Tech Support... and I don't believe that a recorded message (after going through the whole automated phone system) which says "GOODBYE!" and hangs up on you... is industry standard... many pros will think twice if they don't do something soon! The weird thing is that it's probably an easy fix for them which could (should) be addressed in a day or two... I've tried for weeks to get some help. Tascam is moving at the present time, but someone should still be minding the store.... If anyone has any clues to remedy the stuck notes in the meantime... I would be very thankful... (great forum btw !!)

Quote Originally Posted by divinewings
    I was delighted when my audio mixdown problems in Cubase were fixed with the new version of Gigastudio...However!...the new version yields hung notes during REGULAR playback, and this NEVER used to occur...audio mixdowns don't seem to include the hung notes, but it is very frustating and I can never get an idea of how my compositions sound due to overly-sustained notes...

Could it be there is an added option with Gigastudio 3.12 that has been turned on, and I just need to disable it? What causes hung notes in general?

Thanks for any help, I tried to search for the answer, but couldn't find anything...

Andy

Re: Hung notes in 3.12

Wow, a response! I haven't checked the forum for days, since I never got any advice (I'm not complaining, there are tons of weird problems all the time with this program). I actually resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling the program, then updating to version 3.10 this time instead and it fixed my audio mixdown problems (from 3.00) and hung note problems (from 3.12). You're absolutely right. 3.12 was totally unusable. Whatever benefits are included within the 3.12 version are totally shadowed by the stuck notes.

As for Tascam, I emailed them and never got a response. That's funny about their phone message too. So far I'm not overly impressed.

hung notes here as well - both mostly using VSL performance tool (at least I think that is the culprit). Tascam tech support is nothing short of laughable. Get the hung up message 2 out of 3 times I call.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

This would be completely speculating, but I would try filtering some of your MIDI data to see if it improves your GigaStudio performance. Different MIDI apps/devices can send out different MIDI data, even for the same basic sequence. Sometimes there can be SysEx messages that bring Giga to its knees.

I've really only had a problem like what you describe a few times. The first one was way back in the 90s with GigaSampler v1.0. I had a MIDI patchbay and was using it to switch between various input devices. I started experiencing stuck notes and a slower latency. Eventually I realized that the patchbay was choking under the load of data, including SysEx, from the various I/O ports. I then started plugging input devices directly into GS and the problem went away. My point being that MIDI data can disrupt GS performance if it is "bad" in some way.

The other problem occurred while I was using one of the recent GS3 drum libraries we all know and love. I had tom-tom sounds playing back pitched up an octave. This one is less related to your issue but I still see a connection. Long story short, while I still don't know what exactly was wrong, I have concluded it was bad MIDI from my DAW. It doesn't seem probable that the library in question had a related defect.

So basically, try using Cubase to filter out MIDI data that is not necessary to your tracks. It can be tricky to do, but may be worthwhile.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Thanks Alewis, I'm going to look into it. Your explanation definitely seems to make sense pertaining to what was happening...even more so when I consider what I forgot to mention, I noticed PATTERNS in the particular notes that were becoming stuck. The problem would generally be involved with a select handful of them. They would be problematic in phases too, some playbacks they would be hung, and others times the issue would resolve and OTHER notes in the select handful would become stuck. It was really weird. I think extra midi data could have been the issue...

I am having the same problem since upgrading to 3.12.
    Report your problem via email to TASCAM and they will send you a solution.
    I rec'd an email from them with a solution applicable to my machine. It was about 10 days later when I got the reply.
    The solution may vary from PC to PC and O/S, so it might be misleading for me to post the solution for my DAW.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Post it anyway, please. Knowing the concept of the solution could be enough for sharp users to figure out their specifics.

- G

Go Back to forum