• Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Howard Shore out, Newton-Howard in for Peter Jackson King Kong score

Share/Bookmark

OT: Howard Shore out, Newton-Howard in for Peter Jackson King Kong score

Link to article

James Newton Howard to Score King Kong
    Source: Universal Pictures October 14, 2005

Universal Pictures confirmed today that James Newton Howard will compose the original score for the dramatic adventure King Kong, which is directed by triple Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson. Mr. Howard replaces Howard Shore, who is leaving the project.

Peter Jackson made the following statement: "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film. I'm looking forward to working with James Newton Howard, a composer whose work I've long admired, and I thank Howard Shore, whose talent is surpassed only by his graciousness."

King Kong will be released December 14, 2005.
    Wow - didn't they just do a big promo film on the recording of the score? Had to do a ton of work on a hall in New Zealand? With a December release, that's pretty quick...

Re: OT: Howard Shore out, Newton-Howard in for Peter Jackson King Kong score

This is starting to become a habit for big studios...

Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view
    Waste time???? Isn't that the whole point of a collaborative process? Do these people have their heads so far up their collective asses that they if they don't hear the perfect cue the first time out the fire the guy and move on to the next in line?

This whole business is going to ~~~~!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Maybe their vision was just that different. I just had a similar situation with a musician who had been hired to play a show I just opened. We worked with him for a couple of weeks, long enough to realize that there was absolutely no way he was going to work out--despite the fact that he's a really good musician. We made every effort, and so did he. The visions just did not match, and were not compatible.

Sometimes, you just get the wrong person on the project, and the best way to fix things is to start over with a different person.

Bruce,

I think that a good (read: professional) composer is (generally) able to put his/her ego aside and give the director what he wants. I suppose Howard Shore doesn't have to take any ~~~~ from anybody at this point, but still...how divergent could their views have been considering they have worked together for the past 5 years non-stop? I wonder how much of the $ (make that $$$,$$$.$$) he got to keep?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Bruce,

I think that a good (read: professional) composer is (generally) able to put his/her ego aside and give the director what he wants. I suppose Howard Shore doesn't have to take any ~~~~ from anybody at this point, but still...how divergent could their views have been considering they have worked together for the past 5 years non-stop? I wonder how much of the $ (make that $$$,$$$.$$) he got to keep?
    Hi Kays,but I respectfully must say that I don't agree. A few years ago I had a score thrown out, the first and only time this has happened to me. I felt I knew exactly what the film needed. I felt the direction that the producer wanted was wrong. But after he insisted I said to myself, "Oh well, it is his film." I tailored it to his micro-managing and he pronounced himself pleased. At the dub he stopped by for a while and said, "Well it seems to be laying in nicely. "

Two weeks later, apparently after being told by some friends that it didn't work, he replaced it. Ironically, the score my replacement did was similar to what I wanted to do in the first place!

We both would have been better off if I had bowed out earlier on.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Obviously, it had too many notes.

Talking Re: OT: Howard Shore out, Newton-Howard in for Peter Jackson King Kong score

I could see how two people could have serious and relevant creative differences on a film like say, Schindler's List. Does anybody else think two men unable to agree on music for King Kong sort of funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    I could see how two people could have serious and relevant creative differences on a film like say, Schindler's List. Does anybody else think two men unable to agree on music for King Kong sort of funny?
    Certainly. I bet it went like this:

[EXT: Gloomy Woods]
    Gloomy Woods yel Stormdrum!
    King Kong enters from a huge backlit bush.

PJ: No no no! It has to go STORMMMMDRUMMMM!

HS: Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Post Re: OT: Howard Shore out, Newton-Howard in for Peter Jackson King Kong score

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Bruce,

Hello Kays,

I also respectfully disagree with this comment. It doesn't necessarily follow that Mr. Shore would continue to be an appropriate choice, despite the lengthy -- and successful -- collaboration with Jackson in the past. Furthermore, I don't believe this has anything to do with ego at all. A composer must connect with the materials he or she is working with. If the director's vision doesn't coincide at all with what the composer envisions, the level of concessions your post suggests the composer make would not result in the quality score the composer intended or the film deserves. This is exactly what seems to have taken place here. Both collaborators chose what's best for the project, and for their relationship.

As far as the fee is concerned, since it's so late in the post production and scoring stage, I think it would be safe to assume that Mr. Shore kept a large portion, if not all of his fee.

Best wishes,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

Post Re: OT: Howard Shore out, Newton-Howard in for Peter Jackson King Kong score

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Hello Joanne,

I believe King Kong to be a good example as any for two collaborators to have differences of opinion about. The film is a remake and probably pays some homage to the two versions of this story that have been seen in the past, and it encompasses drama, action and comedy. As with almost all types of scores, there is always more than one approach to scoring and it appears that Peter Jackson has a different direction in mind for his film than what Howard Shore has presented.

In all honesty, I would say that King Kong would be cause for more creative differences than a film such as Schindler's List...

Best wishes,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast