• Register
  • Help

Topic: V1 sus/short too bright sometimes

Share/Bookmark

V1 sus/short too bright sometimes

I love the GPO section violins - and the fact they're nice and bright. Most of the time, this is ideal. BUT, on occasions, the first violins sus/short are too bright and I need a more mellow sound. I've gradually pulled the velocity right back - but they are still too bright and 'in yer face'. Similar comments are being made by Skysaw and others elsewhere here so I know I'm not alone. Sequencer users can tweak the relevant channel with EQ but Finale-users like me can only tweak the final WAV recording which will cut back the top-end of ALL instruments.

Does anyone know how I might copy the existing first violin patch and save it as a more mellow version having rendered it (somehow) with less brilliance / attack? Or could Tom take the existing Violin 1 sus/short and make it available as a more mellow sample so that we have the current bright version, the aggressive version and a soft, mellow version please? Would this require a lot of programming or is it a simple EQ adjustment that could be added to the instrument folder as an update or download?

Or should I wait for GPOA?!

Regards, Graham

Re: V1 sus/short too bright sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Does anyone know how I might copy the existing first violin patch and save it as a more mellow version having rendered it (somehow) with less brilliance / attack?
    I'm not sure if it'll give you what you're after, but you might try using the X-Custom version and experimenting with the Brightness controller (CC24).
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    I'm not sure if it'll give you what you're after, but you might try using the X-Custom version and experimenting with the Brightness controller (CC24).

Thanks Godfrey. That could be what I'm looking for although I will need to dig into this X-Custom stuff first as I'm not familiar with it. Does X-Custom simply provide access to some additional controllers like Brightness or will it require me to alter my existing controllers / expressions etc?

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Thanks Godfrey. That could be what I'm looking for although I will need to dig into this X-Custom stuff first as I'm not familiar with it. Does X-Custom simply provide access to some additional controllers like Brightness or will it require me to alter my existing controllers / expressions etc?
    I've mainly used X-Custom to respond to breath control data, but I assume that if you set the slider to respond to the mod wheel, it'll react similarly to the regular instruments (I'm not at my DAW at the moment, so I can't say for certain). You might need to move the slider all the way to the left for it to have the same expressiveness range as the dry instruments.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum