• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spectrasonics should do a BFD/DFHS type instrument

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics should do a BFD/DFHS type instrument

I've recently been trying to find a single hit type drum plugin that I'm happy with.

I use Stylus RMX for all my loop type drum work and i was hoping to find something as user friendly and stable to use for single hit type midi drum programming (sometimes you just gotta).

I know i can use RMX in kit mode (and I have been so far) but it would be great if Eric and the guys took it a stage further and produced a true multi-layered single hit drum rompler for ultra realistic drum sounds.

RMX 1.5 is a superb update by the way.
    Last edited by Silvercloud; 10-14-2005 at 05:39 AM. Reason: correct 'single hit mode' to read 'kit mode'

Re: Spectrasonics should do a BFD/DFHS type instrument

You said it.

Such a product (a multi-sample drum VSTi from Spectrasonics) has been #1 on my list of "dreamware" since I spent over $1000 on other products which can't even BEGIN to touch the playability of the Roland "Dynamic Drums" card (produced by Spectrasonics).

That card is absolutely amazing. I even bought a dang Fantom XR for the SOLE REASON of wanting to use that card -- it is THAT GOOD (for me, I mean... I guess others may disagree).

But no joke -- every single time I boot up that Fantom I just think, "Dang it, Spectrasonics, where's my mulit-sampled drum VSTi?!?!? You've already created the monster rhythmic loop machine -- now give me REAL, MULTI-SAMPLED DRUMS!!"

I mean, come on, guys -- can you IMAGINE how amazing such a product would be?!?

I am so in favor of this that it's difficult to find words to express how I feel. I'm being dead serious. It just makes SENSE to see this product.

If SPECTRASONICS made a drum VSTi like this? Feggedaboudit!!!

Put it this way, I would kiss Eric Persing's giant emerald ring in gratitude if he would do this.

(PLEASE NOTE: I'm just assuming he has an emerald ring -- actual giant ring may feature a different precious gem)

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain
    Put it this way, I would kiss Eric Persing's giant emerald ring in gratitude if he would do this.
    I'm so glad you put the words 'giant' and 'emerald' in that sentence.

I have been using another multi sample plugin (that shall remain nameless because i'm not into slagging off other manufacturer's products) and it's great because there is subtle variation in the hi hats and the toms are really good but i just cannot get that fat spectrasonics bass drum sound and that sparkling spectrasonics cymbal sound from it.

My current work around is to mix bits from both plugins and i have to bounce that down to audio becuse it's killing my system performance which as you can appreciate is not ideal.

Well, hey ... I just re-read what I posted before -- maybe I went overboard in my enthusiasm.

But I just meant to say, all hyperbole aside, that I honestly would love to hear what the Spectrasonics team could do for multi-sampled drums.

That's all...

As I said, I spent over $1000 a year ago on drum VSTi's, trying to go "all virtual" with my system. For ME, it didn't work. I have three drum products on my system which I'm sure are great for many things -- I use a few kicks from this one, a few hi-hats from that one, a "sizzle" ride from the other one...

But for the music that I normally do, they can not even begin to compare with the kinds of sounds I can get INSTANTLY from that "Dynamic Drums" board in my Fantom XR.

Some would say I'm too LAZY to tweak and effect those other drum sounds, and they would say that for that reason I'm comparing apples to oranges. Okay, guilty.

All I know is those Spectrasonics drums just WORK. I don't know how else to say it -- they just WORK. From the get-go. They fit in the mix, they are responsive... they just WORK for me. I have VSTi's that have HUGE snare sample sets, with mind-boggling numbers of velocity layers, alternating samples per note, etc., and they STILL can not compare to the sound of those "Dynamic Drums"...

So I'd LOVE to see something like that card in VSTi form. I mean, when I think about the fact that this card only has something like 64 MB on it...!!! You know?!?

Bottom line:
    All ring-kissing aside, I surely add my vote to your request.

I've always been amazed at the great sounds Eric squeezed out of the Roland products. I have a Roland XP-80 and have the Bass and Drums and Special Effects cards in it (as well as the orch 2 and world cards) The bass guitars on the Bass and Drum card, still to this day, sound fat and warm and have different velocity layers. I bought a major bass library last year (not Trilogy) and much prefer the Roland stuff Eric did. AND it's all stuffed into a 32 meg card AND it shares that memory with a ton of great drum sounds as well. How the heck can Eric get such great sounding instruments out of mere megabytes while some developers burn up gigabytes and don't come close?

Some say it's Eric's professional experience and great ears. I say it's something to do with his fear of cryptonite. You just know Eric's got a big red cape with a large S on the back...

Truly a fan,

Darren

PS I'd love a Spetrasonics Drum VST (please put in the heavy drum sounds!)

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    I've always been amazed at the great sounds Eric squeezed out of the Roland products. I have a Roland XP-80 and have the Bass and Drums and Special Effects cards in it (as well as the orch 2 and world cards) The bass guitars on the Bass and Drum card, still to this day, sound fat and warm and have different velocity layers. I bought a major bass library last year (not Trilogy) and much prefer the Roland stuff Eric did. AND it's all stuffed into a 32 meg card AND it shares that memory with a ton of great drum sounds as well. How the heck can Eric get such great sounding instruments out of mere megabytes while some developers burn up gigabytes and don't come close?

Some say it's Eric's professional experience and great ears. I say it's something to do with his fear of cryptonite. You just know Eric's got a big red cape with a large S on the back...
    That's actually an 8 megabyte card...believe it or not!

Credit for the incredible memory compression stuff must also go to the Roland Japan engineers....there's only so far that I can go with the conservation stuff...but they take it to a whole other level.

It's a whole other artform to squeeze a full GM set into 128k :-)

Go Back to forum