• Register
  • Help

Topic: Final Travel Log - AES, Sweetwater, Finale and home

Share/Bookmark

Final Travel Log - AES, Sweetwater, Finale and home

Monday was the last day of the AES show. I finally had a chance to check out some of the AES offerings.

Sonar 5 was very impressive - 64 bit computing and Cakewalk also announced a new Mac/PC sampler - Dimension Pro - very sweet sampler! The PreSonus INSPIRE audio interface was very nice and we got a chance to test it at our booth. Updates were also announced for ProTools 7, Melodyne 3 and Nuendo 3.2 . I also went to the Magix booth and got some nifty tips for Sequoia and Renovator.

There was a free hearing test at AES and luckily my days in rock bands did not render me deaf. A campaign and theme of the AES show was on hearing and hearing loss prevention.

I had a Starbucks meeting with Craig Anderton amd lunch with FrankS and later saw Roger Butterly and Tony Melfa (who work with Phoebe Snow and in NY musical theatre). It was also good to meet with the industry folks - from Roland, Native Instruments, Cakewalk, Yamaha, Waves, Magix, Digidesign, Sweetwater and many other companies. We also met with some press people. Later in the day was an interview with DD. It was great being neighbors and working together with the good people at Muse Research.

The best thing about the AES show- IT WAS FANTASTIC TO MEET SO MANY FORUM FOLKS! Many thanks to Karl and Joanni Garrett, DPDan and Chris Caouette for their help.

After the close of the show, we packed and headed to the airport only to find out the flights a couple of hours were delayed because of the weather. Finally flew to Chicagoland and drove to Fort Wayne - a long drive.

On Tuesday I was at Sweetwater all day. Sweetwater has been one of my favorite resellers (who else gave candy in the box?) And GPO has been a top seller leading their sales charts for many months. I had an opportunity to meet many people at Sweetwater. What an impressive organization and facility they have. During the tour of their facility, I saw their sales team, the warehouse, their support center, repair center, where computers are built (and GPO installed), their show room and their recording studios. Although their headquarters was the largest place I've seen devoted to selling music, Sweetwater is growing so rapidly that they have recently purchased a much larger facility.

I gave five training sessions and gave demonstrations of GPO, the Jazz & Big Band and Stradivari Solo Violin libraries. I also had lunch with Mikey Seltzer, a long time friend and had a chance to see Chuck Surack, President and founder of Sweetwater. It was good to see John and Amy and may of the fine people at Sweetwater. It is no wonder that Sweetwater has won many awards and has such a good reputation.

On Wednesday I went to Finale (MakeMusic) headquarters near Minneapolis. Luckily there was a sales meeting going on that day and got a chance to preview some of the Jazz and Big Band to the sales people there. I met with executive team as well as the support and customer care teams, I had many discussions with many people. The folks at MakeMusic were gracious hosts. It was a good to discuss future plans and avenues of collaboration (and we had a good lunch too!)

It has been a successful trip. Long days of recording (the secret project), four impulse sessions, over twenty lectures at various colleges and universities, seeing Boston Symphony hall and other venues, doing the AES show (meeting many forum people and the GPO party), the TEC nomination and banquet, a day at Sweetwater headquarters and a day at Finale headquarters. Pheww!!!

During the course of the past 20 days, I met so many fantastic people and saw old friends. There was so much accomplished that will lay the groundwork for the coming years.

I just arrive back home on Orcas Island today. I am exhausted, caught a bug and need to recuperate. There's a pile of email and phone calls to return. I missed Marianne very much and luckily she remembered who I was. I also miss visiting the forum, the chats and being in touch with many of my forum friends.

I will post pictures of the trip soon.

Good to be back!

Gary Garritan

Re: Final Travel Log - AES, Sweetwater, Finale and home

You have the "Con" Captain. Nice to have you back at the helm. Now slow to sublight speed and take it easy, sir.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Now slow to sublight speed and take it easy, sir.
    Will make it so Number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I missed Marianne very much and luckily she remembered who I was.

Gary Garritan
    That is so nice Gary

I'm not so sure I was much help, and I'm sorry my flight was not later so I could help tear down.
    I have one of the worst colds I have ever had.
    Is that what you have?
    New York is an incredible place, but I have to tell you, it was sure nice to be back home.
    We all appreciate you so much Gary!

Dan

Welcome back Gary,
    now sit back, relax and take some rest.....soooooooooooo busy man ;-))))

keep in touch soon.....I also have a secret project.
    All the best
    Francesco
    nothing is forever

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    luckily my days in rock bands did not render me deaf.
    You played harp in a rock & roll band?

I knew there was a reason I loved this guy...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I actually played in a band with a harpist. They were called 'Art in America' and had an album out around 1980 which was produced by Eddie Offord. Eddie produced most of the early Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer albums.

Gary, it seems you get sick every time you take those extended trips. Although the nasty weather in New York probably didn't help.

Welcome back, Gary!

My heavens, I don't know how you even survive an agenda like that! Holy cow, I think it would kill a lesser man... lol.

I didn't say a word to anyone about the super-secret Electric Zither project, by the way...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Smile Re: Final Travel Log - AES, Sweetwater, Finale and home

This time I was not able, even driving some hours (my car is not equipped yet for transoceanic driving...;-), to join you all.

But it was like to receive a little of the event, reading your nice posts, Gary.

Thank you very much indeed.

wow - i feel successful just for knowing about your trip...and i know many will certainly benefit...congrats!! glad you'll be back on the forum with us too...

-josh

Go Back to forum