• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: with regards to Kontact and Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

OT: with regards to Kontact and Gigastudio

I own giga 2.55 and it worked for me for all of 3 months and I could never figure what the problem was because I never added anything new to my set up and finally got tired of messing with it and went to using programs from the EWQL librarys such as Stormdrum and the Choirs with the built in Kompact player as well as GPO. This has worked out quite well for me but I really miss my giga samples that I had before and I'm thinking of upgrading to Giga 3 and I'm trying to justify getting it over Kontact 2. I'm not gonna ask which is better because I've seen the argument battle back and forth a hundred times. All I was wondering was does giga 2.5 samples transfer well over to Kontact, or vice versa? I think the price for upgrade for both is pretty comparable but I don't know a whole bunch about either one. Most of my librarys are giga format but I'm fast gathering many larger librarys that use the Kompact interface so I'm wondering what the smartest plan for me would be?
    Thanks very much,

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: OT: with regards to Kontact and Gigastudio

Well, I can tell you that giga 3 offers no joy in the registration process. I've been able to use mine for all of 2 minutes (which apparently is somehow equal to 10 days of grace period).

Kontakt 2 has been no problem at all for me.

steve

During one of the K2 vs G3 exchanges someone mentioned that the Kontakt forum tends to be "how do I do xxx" whereas the Gigastudio was "how do fix this". I watched them both for awhile and it was too true. There's just too much "crash talk" in the Gigastudio forum for me to want to go that direction. I figure I can alway upgrade my G2.5 if I need to or get curious. Meanwhile, I'm tired of looking at the "driver no work" warnings after every other bootup. I bought K2. I have yet to have that kind of a problem with Kontakt or any of the standalone Kontakt based softsynths.

That said, the K2 interface has turned out to be much more daunting. I was up and running, creating samples and editing in no time with G2.5. I'm still trying to figure Kontakt out. To my untrained eyes it looks like a mell of a hess.

IMHO licensing their engine to third party developers is the most brilliant marketing strategy I have ever come across. It creates familiarity and trust in their system. At least in my case, it worked.

Ernie

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I run GigaStudio 3.0 on multiple machines, and it is a joy. I knock out as much work as anyone on the planet, and have had exactly zero issues with the software running poorly.

I think you could ask Hans Zimmer the same question and he'd give you the same answer.

The point being, one can find plenty of opinions in all directions about what software suits them well.

Giga 2.x libraries will transfer to Kontakt reasonably well. A program like Chicken Systems' Translator might offer a better result. When you get to GigaStudio 3.0/Kontakt 2.0 native libraries, all bets are probably off, since the feature sets have diverged and a direct translation of a given feature might not be possible.

What confuses me is why on earth you would simply give up your license rights to GigaStudio 2.x? You have them. So why not just make a little effort to get things working? The software works. Thousands upon thousands of people use it. So the deeper question is why you don't get some help and just get the software you actually own working?

If you could lay out the problem you're having in detail, perhaps someone here could help you. Do you have GigaStudio running on a single machine with your DAW software, or on a separate machine? What exactly is the problem you're having, and what steps have you taken thus far to resolve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    IMHO licensing their engine to third party developers is the most brilliant marketing strategy I have ever come across. It creates familiarity and trust in their system. At least in my case, it worked.
    In my case, too. I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it, but you're right, it is brilliant!

- Mike Greene

I think you could ask Hans Zimmer the same question and he'd give you the same answer.
    Let's leave Hansy out of this, he's got a small army of interns whose only concern is to make sure the Windows/Giga stuff is always running flawlessly....and most of us don't!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    A program like Chicken Systems' Translator might offer a better result.

<snip>

What confuses me is why on earth you would simply give up your license rights to GigaStudio 2.x? You have them. So why not just make a little effort to get things working? The software works. Thousands upon thousands of people use it. So the deeper question is why you don't get some help and just get the software you actually own working?
    Didn't someone say that the Kontakt translator is from Chicken Systems'? I think I read that here somewhere. In any event, I've got CST. Let's not get into it ...

Curious, what license rights is anyone giving up? I know that I'm not getting rid of GS2, just adding K2.

The point is I don't want to troubleshoot anything. GPO, Virtual piano, Kontakt2 and Akoustik piano were all install-and-go. If I eventually need GS3 functionality I'll upgrade. But for now I'm just going to play my piano.

That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Ernie

Ok, I finished my daily rounds through the forum and I have to ask:

When was the last time someone asked what the best RAM was for a Kontakt machine?

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Ok, I finished my daily rounds through the forum and I have to ask:

When was the last time someone asked what the best RAM was for a Kontakt machine?

Ernie

Exactly! Enough said.

Actually I'd like to know the answer to this, as it certainly isn't the RAM that I have installed. Or maybe something else makes K2 the most flakey app. that I use (or in this case, try not to).

D

Go Back to forum