• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Digital home piano suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Digital home piano suggestions?

A friend of mine needs advice regarding a nice digital piano for home use, particularly for his children. He doesn't want to buy a real piano. What he needs is a nice sounding piano with built-in speakers and a realistic feeling weighted keyboard that will allow his kids to learn properly.
    I don't know anything about this market. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rob

Re: Digital home piano suggestions?

Check out the Yamaha stage pianos (probably the P120). They have a great action and the internal sounds are some of the best I've heard (excluding high end product like Gigastudio instruments).

Yamaha P-250. If it's too high end, you might look at an older Yamaha ypp-55 0r 100. Nice samples, though with a bit more verb than you may want for a home piano emulation.

This is great....thanks so much. Any more?

Why not consider slightly lower end - like a yamaha s08 - same great keyboard and the only complaint i've heard about it is the sound isnt quite up to performance standars - but really, is that necessary in this case? otherwise, i've read a lot of good stuff about it. No build in speakers though.

steve

Yamaha P250 is the ultimate IMHO. I also have the RD700SX which I use on gigs. Nice action and sounds, (as well as an excellent controller), but the P250 gives the closest "player connection" in emulating an accoustic piano.

I can't believe I am saying this but.....check out the new Casio Privia Line. The action is weighted and decent and the piano sample is suprisingly good. Top-level pro....no.......but more than adequate for consumer home use and the prices are great.

P120 has a $100 rebate from Yamaha (I believe thru the end of the year). It is being replaced by the P140, which is according to some is an inferior replacement. Most of the Yamahas have a very similar feel starting with the p120 on up. Good time to look into a P120.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayjazz
    I can't believe I am saying this but.....check out the new Casio Privia Line. The action is weighted and decent and the piano sample is suprisingly good. Top-level pro....no.......but more than adequate for consumer home use and the prices are great.
    I agree but when I tried it the key return was a bit sluggish.

Ernie

Another thing to consider too - one thing that gets me playing a lot on mine is the non-piano sounds. Its one thing to have a nice piano sound and nice feel, but if you can also get some alternate type sounds like decent orchestral samples etc, it might encourage kids to just play around on it too - works on me for sure.

steve

Go Back to forum