• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Taxi ... anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Taxi ... anyone?

Anyone here apart of Taxi? My dad signed me up last week for a year subscription. Just wondering if anyone else is on that boat or has had experiences with it .. good or bad.

Cheers
    Greg

Re: Taxi ... anyone?

Greg,

This very question has been asked many times in many different forums across the web, and unfortunately I see the same answer every time:

None of the respondants ever actually placed a song that was ever professionally released. Some replied that they found the critiques they received useful in improving their craft, but that's about it. I have no doubt that your Dad's heart was in the right place, but I've yet to see anyone who's placed a song using this "service". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Yea - my pop also signed me up several years ago. Quite honestly, you'd have better luck finding work contacting music companies directly. I've had a number of pieces 'forwarded' by the folks at TAXI, but nothing ever came out of it. If their policy is the same, you should be able to get your money back.

My opinion only!

Man, what a cool thing to do for you!! Take Dad out for a lap dance or something. Use the service, try to work it the best you can, but don't put all your eggs in the Taxi basket. Make phone calls, send e mails, try and meet as many people as you can. I've found that an E mail to open the door and then a follow up phone call, so that someone can hear your voice is a good way to go. Giving good phone is really important. A lot of times, it's just being nice, easy to work with, willing to make changes that brings in work. I don't know of anyone that has gotten a ton of paying gigs with taxi, but that doesn't mean their not out there. I'd look at it like it could be one sourse of many that you'll be working with this next year.

Taxi isn't just about songs, wait till you start getting there forwards for what producers want. Send great masters for the areas you interested in and you should be going places. I know more then a few people that have benifited from Taxi(that was hip hop though) but there all style of music, like Jazz, film scores, electronic etc...
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Anyone wanna get specific?

I'm one of the types that bash TAXI whenever I hear it brought up. So please post some specific situations where you made money so i/we know the "legit" deal.........

To me the pitch is about as bad as any modeling "school" or actors "cattle call" (you know, why would you need to take some "class" in order to model? You just walk into an agency and they either sign you or they don't.)........ but I'm interested to hear how you two had~success with this service. I still wouldn't join, but at least I may not slam it as hard if there were some real~success stories other than the 10 year old~success stories they list on their site.

I'm always left very skeptical about TAXI~because no one is ever specific about what they got placed, and where, and to who..... and for how much.

No~offense meant to anyone --- I~just find it hard to believe. IMO it's the age old "pay to be strung along" scheme........ a scheme~which is in every sector of entertainment btw. (and all they need to do is book "one" gig to be "legal")

I was a member of TAXI, and I think they're a great service - but mainly for singer/songwriters and rock/pop bands. Underscore stuff is not in high demand there, and neither is electronic music (particularly the kind I write, even though I got some forwards). It's absolutely NOT a scam, and plenty of people have success with it. I know a few people personally, such as one of my piano teachers, who has had placements. And again, for $300 a year, it is much cheaper than hiring a music attorney for an extended period of time.

Most people misinterpret exactly what Taxi does, also. They don't guarantee success. They tell you straight up that less than 50% of all submissions get forwarded, and only about 6-7% of all submissions result in a deal of some sort. The idea is that they get your music to people who WILL listen to it - assuming it's good enough. When you're just blindly sending your music to different labels or libraries, you cannot be guaranteed a listen, or that those places are even looking for new talent, whereas when you see a Taxi listing, you know there is a real business that is actively looking for people, and Taxi is one of the places they are looking.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I don't believe I'm cynical, just been around the block a bit (in various~entertainment avenues) so~therefore I'm a realist - at the end of the day.

To me it sounds like they are basically looking for source material. But when you figure what they make off the $300 yearly subscriptions + the $5 dollar per song submission fee.... well, I added it up once in some TAXI~discussion and it was (if I recall correctly) several million dollars. That's with a very loose agreement to "represent" those who are members.

I guess I'm the type that~believes in the "representation for free" deal, with~commission going to those that get you work, and only "after" they get you work. That's how every legit form of representation I've ever heard of works.

I guess if you guys are making money from TAXI you are one of the few... most people have not made a dime through them. And yes, I'm fairly skeptical of establishments~where the majority of their "clients" haven't made any money... only 'paid' money.

No big deal......... I'm just blunt and to the point ............~just my point of view is all.~

And BTW ---- I also feel that workshops are a waste of time and money. They're always expensive and all they really are intending to do is get you riled up and excited. I guess some people need/like that. And well, if you are naive to the business, then sure, maybe going to "one" workshop would be helpful.... other than that?

I think it's probably better to read a book about it for $20, more info and you won't need to take notes. ;-)

There's really two industries, the 'real' one, and the 'fringe' one that deals with all this side stuff (workshops and such)

I was a member last year but didn't rejoin because of being too busy with other non musical chores....All year I only submitted 2 pieces, both got forwarded but I didn't hear anything beyond that...I think it could be a successful venture but it would take time, focus and dedication...I plan on joining again when I can actually take a serious stab at it but it's definitely not for everyone....moon

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast