• Register
  • Help

Topic: Since Win XP allows only 2 GB per app....

Share/Bookmark

Since Win XP allows only 2 GB per app....

Since Win XP allows only 2 GB per app, could you load up 4 instances of Kontakt 2 using the standalone versions, connect them to your sequencer with Maple Midi tools and load 2 GB of samples in each instance?
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Re: Since Win XP allows only 2 GB per app....

But wouldn't each instance of Kontakt 2 require a different sound card driver? I know it grabs the available driver and won't allow subsequent applications to use it, but I'm not sure if that applies to itself or not.

No you couldn't.

WinXP only allows a total of 2GB memory IN TOTAL in Application Mode. It's possible to make an adjustment when installing it that ups this to 3GB, but that is the absolute limit. So all the samples you have loaded, in all instances of all programs, can't add up to more than that.

Technically it ought to be possible to load up to 2GB in Gigastudio and 2GB in Kontakt or something else, as Giga runs in Kernel Mode. But I don't know anyone who works this way.

Ron Kuper talks about the way of using 3gb under XP here
    http://www.soniccontrol.com/features...s/sonar4.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Since Win XP allows only 2 GB per app, could you load up 4 instances of Kontakt 2 using the standalone versions, connect them to your sequencer with Maple Midi tools and load 2 GB of samples in each instance?
    With the /3gb switch put in the boot.ini file you can load up to 3gb for applications, but as was stated by another poster that is the maximum Windows allows for apps. While windows says that it can handle 2gb per app, I have not experienced this. I have 4gb of ram (and have used the /3gb switch) but can never seem to load more than 1.5gb in cubase. One other step you can take (which I have not yet) is to have your main application set to large address aware.
    I have tested out exactly what you want to try but with FX-Teleport (I was able to trick it to use on one machine) but to be honest I ran out of CPU before 3gb was close to being filled up. You can download the trial from their website and see if it works for you. Set both the host and slave computers as your one machine, and then you can use it the way I think you do (thereby "tricking" windows into thinking you have more than one app open).

This site tells you how to set the /3gb switch: http://www.gehrytechnologies.com/cat...rge_memory.htm

Good luck,

Christiaan

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the replies and for the 3gb switch info :- )

I had read about the switch, but i also remember that someone tried it and his machine freaked out so i didn't want to risk it- Nothing worse than losing a nicely set up machine. Might give it a go now though since you recommend it.

Have a nice one.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the replies and for the 3gb switch info :- )

I had read about the switch, but i also remember that someone tried it and his machine freaked out so i didn't want to risk it- Nothing worse than losing a nicely set up machine. Might give it a go now though since you recommend it.

Have a nice one.
    Make a copy of the original line of code as a text file. Then you can always copy it back in if you have any problems.

Christiaan

Thanks for the tip Christiaan
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum