• Register
  • Help

Topic: I only have 8 notes..

Share/Bookmark

Red face I only have 8 notes..

Listen here, you've got to promise to forgive my ignorance BEFORE you read my question.. promise? OK, go ahead:

I downloaded some samples from Hollow Sun of a Yamaha CP70 electric grand piano. However, there are only 8 notes sampled (C2, C3, C4, C5, G1, G2, G3 & G4). I think they are WAV files.

I am kind of expecting you all to exchange 'virtual' glances of disbelief at my question, but how do I get GS3 to use these notes and transpose so that I can play all the notes in between?

I know that in effect most of the notes would not be properly sampled but I guess it will do for now until my Prominy CP80 DVD arrives!

Please go easy with me guys, I have a wife and two kids who depend on me..

Re: I only have 8 notes..

Go into the gigastudio editor, select one region (upper right quadrant) and stretch the edge of the region with a mouse drag to cover other notes.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Go into the gigastudio editor, select one region (upper right quadrant) and stretch the edge of the region with a mouse drag to cover other notes.
    It's not clear from the original post what format these samples were downloaded in. If wav only, you need to read up on the GS Edit program, so you can create an instrument from scratch using these samples (Or post back here for more help). If you downloaded a gig file ( your instrument here.gig ), then follow gugliel's directions.

Best of luck,
    Belbin

Thanks belbin. I only have GS3 Solo and so I don't think I have the full Instrument Editor facility - just QuickEdit (a little green button with a 'Q' on it).

Is it still possible to utilise the 8 notes and 'stretch' them across the keyboard so to speak?

I'm afraid I have no experience in building an instrument from scratch though. But if I need the full editor facility (as in GS3 Ensemble or Orchestra versions) then I'm stumped anyway..?

BTW, I've also tried to alter the velocity settings for some of my pianos but QuickEdit doesn't seem to allow me to do this so that the playing experience is more comfortable. At the moment I have to thump the keys real hard to get the full volume - but the quiet notes are too quiet. Hope this makes sense.

Right, what Belbin said!

In an empty editor, select File, New.

Then Edit, Import samples.

Then drag from the sample panel (lower left) to the regions panel (upper right). Drop the pitches on your C's as appropriate. Save, exit, load in gigastudio. Make sure you have the C's playing correctly in gigastudio. Go back to the editor and stretch the regions.

Quote Originally Posted by phil@cablinguk.com
    Thanks belbin. I only have GS3 Solo and so I don't think I have the full Instrument Editor facility - just QuickEdit (a little green button with a 'Q' on it).

Is it still possible to utilise the 8 notes and 'stretch' them across the keyboard so to speak?

BTW, I've also tried to alter the velocity settings for some of my pianos but QuickEdit doesn't seem to allow me to do this so that the playing experience is more comfortable. At the moment I have to thump the keys real hard to get the full volume - but the quiet notes are too quiet. Hope this makes sense.
    Phil,
    I'm pretty sure, now that you mention it, that the Editor does not come with Solo.
    I don't know if this feature is available with Solo, but you may be able to create a distributed wave instrument. I've never done it, but it's a simple instrument creation method that is done from within GS. Check your manual, or perhaps someone with chops in this area can help.
    I don't know if you can adjust velocity settings with it, though.

Belbin

Belbin

Thanks guys. I'll try these suggestions and maybe, if necessary, upgrade to Ensemble or Orchestra.

The subject line reminds me of the They Might Be Giants song:

I've got two songs in me
    And I just wrote the third
    Don't know where I got the inspiration
    Or where I found the words
    Spent my whole life diggin' up
    My music's shallow grave
    For the two songs in me
    And the third one I just made.

-JF

Go Back to forum