• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thirsting for Giga Knowledge

Share/Bookmark

Thirsting for Giga Knowledge

Hi everyone. Well for the last few months I went through the process of having a DAW built for me and at least in the beginning, I like the system. But here's my thing: I am not new to music (playing over 35 years), I am not new to music production on hardware work stations (like Triton), but I am completely new to Gigastudio. Of course I will be delving heartily into the manual that came with the product but I am wondering if there's something out there, like some kind of tutorial book or DVD that will help me get more up to speed? I see that a multi-DVD tutorial was developed some time ago (2002) but I'm concerned that it's too old and will confuse me due to changes in the product since that time.

What do you guys think? Short of giving me the standard response of 'dive in' and you'll learn, which I agree with, but it's a difficult way to learn. I also have Sonar 4 PE and there are tons of books written to guide you all the way through learning the product.

Any ideas?

Thanks ......... Rob

Re: Thirsting for Giga Knowledge

There is a book oming out for giga 3 called Gigastudio Mastery. That may be what you seek.

Also a DVD. Here's a thread from VSL on the topic.

http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/69/128/33.vsl

Thanks all. I read the VSL thread. It sounds like it's not long coming now. I look forward to having it available.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    What do you guys think? Short of giving me the standard response of 'dive in' and you'll learn, which I agree with, but it's a difficult way to learn.
    Not really. I don't know about G3 - I've only got 2.5, but I didn't find it to be that hard to USE with only the (incomplete) help file to guide me. Pretty much the same as everything else - set up the midi and audio parameters, load sound, play sound. Editing wise I got as far as creating Giga voices from wave pools and setting up envelopes. No big deal since it's real easy. I picked up the CD tutorial so that I could understand the interactions of the filter settings and effect of other parameters better.

Ernie

I'd agree it's not that difficult. But break the problem(s) into manageable chunks, then post a specific question about one chunk -- you will probably get help then.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    I'd agree it's not that difficult. But break the problem(s) into manageable chunks, then post a specific question about one chunk -- you will probably get help then.
    I agree with everything stated so far, but the big mysteries have only one possible solution: Search (and post questions at) NSS!
    I'm sure many of us would agree that this place is a beacon of moral and technical support.

Belbin

edit: sorry my answer doesn't actually have to do with speed. those of us with the same libs may be able to share .art files of our edits to instruments, or even gsi's and gsp's. Of course, drive configurations and folder tree structures are many and various, so this may be completely un-feasable. Problems would also come up with eg, I make a gsp that fills up my 1100 Mb ram capacity, and you can't load it on your 950 Mb Machine. Of course, in the other direction this would presumeable work. I must assume it's legal, assumig we all have legal copies of the libs in question.
    If it works, it would bypass a LOT of work (and sadly, a lot of learning, as well), but a noob could then get giga and his/her libs working almost right out of the box!

Any thoughts?

Go Back to forum