• Register
  • Help

Topic: Idea for faster loading of templates

Share/Bookmark

Idea for faster loading of templates

Wouldn't it be nice if we could load our largest template in no longer than 30 seconds? With some great loading times of some applications this could be really an advantage.

Making an "image" of the RAM parts used for loading the samples and saving that as single, ISO-like file on harddisk things could speed up a lot, because it's only a continuos file loading at one time, and not dozen's and thousands of little samples. So having a function "save template for startup" or something could be set, and we could perhaps start after 30 seconds of loading the sampler instead of waiting up to ten or more minutes...

The idea could even go further an save the pre-load file for every single articulation... but I don't think it's speeding things up here a lot.

FWIW, maybe jsut a brainfart...
    PolarBear

Re: Idea for faster loading of templates

huh?

It must be that it's Monday!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

This has yet to be developed for any sampler, not a feature of any of them yet. You can't do this on your own. I just thought those in-the-know as well as the developers here might be interested in the idea...

mmmm, I guess you must be underestimating how well your average hard drive can handle grabbing data from multiple sectors vs' one single contiguous file. I just don't think you'd end up shaving off nearly as much loading time as you think.

Also, FYI, a company called Redmatica already makes a utility that works with EXS24 and essentially will combine a big library into a single file, but I don't think their motivation is faster loading, simply more efficient disk streaming.
    >>Kays

A .gig is also a single file, and how do you explain then that it takes up to 10 minutes to load about 1GB of data into RAM if an average hard drive is delivering 30MB/s and more? Yes it's also delivering that for the streaming, but the loading times arise because it has to interpret file header after file header after file header and something is disturbing here. Then accomodate RAM settings and so on and so on... So reading a header once only and then load "one big sample" seems a lot more efficient to me. I don't know for the EXS, but I'm also experiencing long loading times with the VGP Kompakt when loading a preset, besides Giga is also well-known for hibernating on the loading process...

Well perhaps this problem is simply going away when 64bit is around. But I doubt every company is recoding the entire thing, so chances are high we will still experience such behaviour.

PolarBear

My max loading times are around 2 minutes max for big sequences (it feels like an eternity but I timed it to about 2 minutes or less).

10 minutes for 1 gig of headers seems like an awful long time, maybe something is not functioning properly?
    >>Kays

10 minutes seems awfully long to me too. Are you still using GS2.5 without GSLoad Optimizer?

Go Back to forum