• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Jazz & Big Band

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Jazz & Big Band

I must be blind, took me like 3 minutes to find the "post new thread" button...

Anyway, that looks interesting (I'm known for my understatement), will there be an upgrade price for GPO owner?

Thanks.

Re: Garritan Jazz & Big Band

Welcome to the forum, Diffamation Sonore.
    Probably not. But keep in mind that the price of JABB is about the same price for a single instrument of JABB's quality. It's a GREAT value!

-Chris

Thanks for the welcome cptexas.

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Welcome to the forum, Diffamation Sonore.
    Probably not. But keep in mind that the price of JABB is about the same price for a single instrument of JABB's quality. It's a GREAT value!

-Chris
    I know and won't dispute that it's a great value, it's just that it seems accepted practice in the software world to give rebate to returning customer and I wanted to know before I started counting my pennies. Thanks.

I just listened to the demos and I am disappointed as I have been really looking forward to this virtual instrument. Frankly, the saxes are not much better than what I can presently do. I think the fault lies, and this may not be a problem with the V.I. itself but the guys doing the demos, is the lack of realism in the way vibrato is used, or in these cases, mostly not used.

I hope there will be a timed demo so that we can try for ourselves because based on what I heard I would not buy it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by diffamation sonore
    will there be an upgrade price for GPO owner?
    On the Compose Forums Gary announced an additional $25 discount for existing customers.

I believe that a very realistic vibrato is actually a feature of the JABB. I've heard that the programming is quite complex and allows for adding breath noise and keyclicks dynamically too, and the level of the breath noise and keyclick can be changed dynamically as well. And there is also a variation that dynamically changes the pitch ever-so-slightly like you can with the bowed instruments in GPO. There are also filters, but not sure what they are.

But if the sonic morphing was added to the saxes that would be just...well, truly splendid. Imagine being able to flow from one note to the next like a knife through hot butter or doing portamento trills on a sax? It would be entirely possible if they apply this technology. But I think the legato feature is still very good, but I'd really love it if they could flow from one note to the next...as I said, like a knife through hot butter, that would really make me smile oh so wide.

I think JABB will be very good - for the price it's great, what's $259 these days?

For those who entered into the JABB competition, one person won a free copy of JABB, and the rest of those who entered (including myself) get it for half price. That's what I was told. But an extra price reduction for GPO owners is...wow, I cannot believe how generous that is?! That's truly amazing!

--!--Goes to show that, as with everything, we as individuals have expectations as unique as ourselves.

I took a listen to the Jazz demos and am immensely impressed. Sounds to me that the vibrato was very much in evidence, used tastefully, and also that the notes on the saxes were indeed "flowing like butter" as someone else seemed to say wasn't happening.

What I heard was way beyond what I already have going with trap sets, saxes, trumpets etc. Being just as impressed with these demos as I was/am with the GPO orchestral demos, I'd be a very happy camper to own the new Jazz program.

In my opinion, musicians often get hung up on sonic details which are completely non-existent to most people. I don't suggest we "dumb down" and do the least work necessary to create good music and recordings of our music--but I do suggest that we can too often get sucked into time-consuming tangents that make exactly Zero difference in the end product, and as a result, we can get our heads balled up in cynical frustration that can make us lose track of what's really important in our music.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    I just listened to the demos and I am disappointed as I have been really looking forward to this virtual instrument. Frankly, the saxes are not much better than what I can presently do. I think the fault lies, and this may not be a problem with the V.I. itself but the guys doing the demos, is the lack of realism in the way vibrato is used, or in these cases, mostly not used.

I hope there will be a timed demo so that we can try for ourselves because based on what I heard I would not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    . . . based on what I heard I would not buy it.
    The old "you can't please all of the people all of the time" was never more true than in the sample library business. I would suggest that if you don't hear what you are looking for, definitely don't buy the product. It's a competitive business, maybe someone else will introduce a product in the future that will be closer to meeting your needs. All you need is patience and a little luck that their image and yours (of what the product should sound like) will coincide. In a business as active as this one your chances are actually pretty good if you wait long enough.

Tom

When it comes to jazz, fluidity and expression are not an optional extra, they are absolutely essential.

Without these two elements, jazz doesn't sound like jazz anymore. I believe that the saxes in JABB are adequate for jazz, but I'd like to see some very fast legato phrases and some serious trills and pitch-bend squeaks. The pitch bend on a real sax does the squeak...or is it hard biting on the reed that does this? I haven't played saxophones for 13 years now. I played one when I was 13, and I'm now 26...I used to play on a curved soprano, the one I had was beautifully lacquered in a pink gold color and was from "French Technicians" whatever that company was...not sure, and it really stood out.

Go Back to forum