• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trouble converting REX files

Share/Bookmark

Trouble converting REX files

I have been over the tutorial and the new help menu more times than I care to admit...

I have successfully converted literally hundreds of .rx2 files in the past year, so I'm really confused why this is happening.

I have imported a wave file of a synth pattern I created in Logic, into Recycle. I added the slice markers, and saved it as a .rx2 file.

I then have tried dragging and dropping it on the Sage converter, or tried via the navigation window. I enter the new suite name at the prompt, and I get the red status bar showing me it has converted.

I then open a new instance of RMX, and I see the new suite name in the "Converted REX files" category. When I select my new suite, the loop isn't there.

I then go to ~>library>application support>Spectrosonics>SAGE>SAGE libraries>User Libraries>Converted REX files> new suite name... and all I see is a data.XLM file.

All my other suites when viewed through the OSX finder window have a folder named after the loop (in the suite folder), and then the Audio file that RMX uses.

Yes, I have the latest SAGE and RMX updates... This has actually happened to me the last few times I've gone to convert REX files. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Trouble converting REX files

Mac or Windows?

Using 1.5k?

Did you try normal importing the REX File with the button and file menu?

Folder structure is?

Converting one folder of REX files, single REX file...or?

Need more info to troubleshoot the problem.

Eric,

Thanks for answering, on an early Sunday morning yet..!

I thought I had spelled things out better, but...

Mac, OS 10.4.2
    SAGE 1.5
    Yes, I tried converting the REX file with both the button and the file menu, as well as the drag and drop method.

As far as folder structure, I'm simply naming a new suite, and that suite shows up in "Converted REX Files". Yes, I have other folders there, that I organized a while back, but this new REX file is going into the "Converted REX files" folder, like it does by default, and I have not moved it.

I am only converting 1 REX file, and just now I tried doing 2, and the same thing is happening.

So, to recap... I am (supposedly) doing this, like I (thought) I have, many, many times before, but when I select the new suite in the "Converted REX files" category, there is no loop there... no name... nothing.

Looking at it from within OSX's finder window, all that's there is a data.XLM file. Not a file called "Audio", like all my other converted REX files are.

I'm having a sinking feeling I'm just being stupid, and missing a step... but what would that step be?

It is a pretty simple process...so what you're doing should be working.

Try a test with some other REX files that you've converted before and see if those still work. It's possible that the problem could be with the new REX file.

Yea, I'm really stumped now...

I did try re-importing some rex files that I had already imported, and some of them worked without a hitch.

I then tried re-importing some more rex files that I had done previously, and instead of the SAGE converter importing all of them, it only imported the first one, and when I went to look at it in Stylus, the first rex file was the only one in there, except it was listed, like, 10 times in the elements window. And when I hit the RMX play button, all 10 listings of the same loop started playing at the same time, with 10 little speaker icons all lighting up.

And, even upon re-recycling the loops that I tried to do originally last night, and resaving them as Rex files, they still don't show up in RMX at all.

Something is seriously wrong... I really don't think it's something I'm doing, or not doing. As you said, it's a pretty straight forward process, and one that I have done, many, many times.

Do these symptoms sound like anything you've come across?

Make sure you have the latest REX Shared Library installed....that could actually be the source of the problem.

Nuke the bad suites and try an A/B comparison with SAGE Converter 1.5k and version 1.1

Thanks for hanging in there with me Eric...

I have Recycle version 2.2.9, and on Propeller Heads website, it says if you have Recycle 2.1, then you already have the latest REX shared library. Does that sound right?

Also, when I updated to RMX 1.5, it replaced SAGE converter 1.1 with 1.5. So I no longer have 1.1. And the original RMX disk is version 1.0, correct? Is there somewhere over at Spectrosonics that has the 1.1 SAGE converter available as a download? So that I can try the A/B comparison?

you have recycle 2.2?
    unless you are a beta tester, that's odd.
    you sent me in a panic almost :-),
    went on their site, that 2.1 is still the latest version.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Jaimo:

I had exactly the same problem that you're describing with one file being duplicated . I noticed this when I loaded the files the old way by highlighting all of the rex files within the folder and selecting "choose" or something like that. When I tried it again using the drag and drop method it worked.

I also took the same files and went back to version 1.1 of the converter and it worked fine using the original method of selecting all of the Rex files within the folder.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx
    you have recycle 2.2?
    unless you are a beta tester, that's odd.
    you sent me in a panic almost :-),
    went on their site, that 2.1 is still the latest version.
    rsp
    Actually, looking at Recycle from my Applications window, it says

version 2.2.9
    Recycle 2.1

whatever that means...

Tom,

Thanks for the info. The duplicate loop thing was only one of a few really weird things that was happening. The most consistent, however, is that any loops I have put through Recycle over the last 2 days, don't convert at all. Actually, scratch that... one did. One, out of maybe 10. And there was absolutely nothing that differed from that one.

This is so bizarre, because, as Eric mentioned, this is really a straight forward process... or at least it's suppose to be

Go Back to forum