• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: You might find this interesting....

Share/Bookmark

You might find this interesting....

About the music in the new xbox 360 game, with clips(might be full tracks actually) and a midi/real orchestra comparison on one track..
    http://www.kameosoundtrack.com/

Re: You might find this interesting....

Wow, very impressive. It sets the standard that my scores should match to stay competitive.

Keith Kehrer
    Kamakaze Music

While it is a very well done score, I don't necessarily agree that it is the 'standard' by which you should compare your music.

Thankfully, not every title coming out these days requires a complete symphonic arrangement. I, along with many of the other composers on here, am getting pretty tired of the now-overused 'MediaVentures' sound that is saturating games these days. Let's have some original ideas, some new styles of orchestration, some new SOUNDS!

Keep it unique if you really want to stay competitive...

While I agree with what you're saying Symbiotic, unfortunately that level of decision making rarely sits 100% with the content provider. More often than not, a composer will get a pile of mp3s or CDs dumped on them by someone in a position of authority with a request to "check these out." You might think one direction is the right one, but the people you *work for* think differently. The most one can do at that point is respectfully present an alternative option or two, but if those get shot down, then it's time to kindly do as you're told. Over time, as trust and respect grows between both parties, you might find the project lead or producer more open to alternatives, but until then, you've got to play nice with the whole team.
    You know what I blame this on the downfall of? Society.

ed is absolutely right here ... we just write what we're told to write .. end of story ..

You're absolutely right, Ed. I assume it is a given that anyone in this business does the job they are hired to do to the best of their abilities. My point was simply that if one has the flexibility - and I realize this decision rarely sits with the composer - one should at least attempt to make some unique imprint on the listener/player. I think it is possible to do this AND still compose within whatever 'idiom' the producer gives you.

From a novice perspective, however, I think it is even MORE important to create a unique sound for yourself. As I gain more experience in the business I find more and more people trying to break into the biz by parroting and mimicing the Bill Brown's and Inon Zur's...but we've already got those guys, and they are among the best at what they do...

Jamie had a good post about this awhile back, and I've spoken with Tim Larkin about it as well. I just think it is important to keep a fresh perspective and try to create a unique sound that people can identify as 'yours' rather than spending all your time trying to sound like Hans Zimmer.

Well, it's definitely true that something new, fresh and different on your demo will catch someone's attention much more than yet another Zimmer piece. Besides, if a developer/producer/publisher wants that sound, they know who to go to to get it, and they already have great relationships with those people.

So try to build some relationships based on your own merits, and yes, those should definitely include an original sound, but they also include being a nice outgoing affable easy-to-work-with person who gets games, understands how they're made beyond just audio, and understands the market somewhat as well.

Are you guys tallking about orchestral music in new games being middle of the road boring or more music sounding like hans zimmer type orchestral music ?

Quote Originally Posted by bluepasture24
    Are you guys tallking about orchestral music in new games being middle of the road boring or more music sounding like hans zimmer type orchestral music ?
    I don't think orchestral music in games is necessarily 'middle of the road' or 'boring' either. In fact, most of what I listen to these days are game and movie soundtracks. But more and more game music does sound like Hans Zimmer - which isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself - it is a sound that many people still like (including myself). But at the same time I think it is important that composers continue to try to stretch the boundaries a bit to continue to give new life and legs to games.

Ed - Congratulations on the impending release of Prey, by the way. It looks like it is going to be a fantastic game. And your 'Arkham' demo for Bela D is very nice - congrats!

Oh, hey, thanks man. Yeah, there's a lot of work to do on "Prey" yet, but it's coming along nicely.

But to steer away from this threadjack, the Kameo stuff does sound quite good, imo. And if you guys are in a position where you have some extra disposable income, do try and buy up as many game soundtrack CDs as you can. It's really important to send a positive message to the money and marketing people who do take a risk on these endeavors. Show them that there is an interest in these publications. It's good for everyone in the long run.

Go Back to forum