• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Library Advice

Share/Bookmark

First Library Advice

Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of buying gigastudio orchestra but don't know what library to start off with. Since I generally score for orchestras rather than producing a finished product I've never needed to before now. But now I'm looking to try and break into the film market.

Does anyone have any good suggestions VSL is way out of my price range at this time.

thanks

mischa

Re: First Library Advice

You might want to check out Kirk Hunter's new Emerald library. If you buy it before October 15 you get the introductory price of $249 which is pretty good for a 25 GB library. There are some mp3 demos at the website:

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/v2.html

You will probably want to augment it with other libraries eventually but it looks like a very nice starting point. If you don't want to go the Giga route there are also packages like EWQLSO Gold ( http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=EW-160 ) and Miroslav Philharmonik ( www.philharmonik.com/Main.html?prod_MP ). Both come with their own player software so no softsampler is needed.

/Yoss

Ya, Kirk's looks like the intro library to beat right now. More people will know very shortly as it just started shipping so you'll likely be able to get a comparison with other libraries soon.

It also depends the type of music you want to do. Its been said Miroslav is more subdued so it you might consider it if you're looking at something less big-soundish.

Though this might mean more to some than others, from just a size point of view Kirk's library looks to compare to the opus bundle, 10 gigs more than EWQL Gold, 4 times the size of Miroslav, MOTU and the included VSL in Kontakt 2, and 10 times the size of GPO - althought i'm really not sure about those stats 100% so others should verify that.

steve

Yep, for at that price and for GigaStudio the new Kirk Hunter libraries seem really nice. Even the 8 gig Sapphire seems like a nice choice for a first library. More money gets you more features but Kirk's stuff have a great bang for the buck. They are also lightweight so that you can fit an entire orchestra in a moderately equipped computer. I have the VSL Opus 1 and I really like the sound but I can't load whole orchestra into my 2 gig Kontakt PC.

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    Yep, for at that price and for GigaStudio the new Kirk Hunter libraries seem really nice. Even the 8 gig Sapphire seems like a nice choice for a first library. More money gets you more features but Kirk's stuff have a great bang for the buck. They are also lightweight so that you can fit an entire orchestra in a moderately equipped computer. I have the VSL Opus 1 and I really like the sound but I can't load whole orchestra into my 2 gig Kontakt PC.
    I'm personally really impressed by the timbre of Kirk's new stuff. I can't believe the price...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi
    I'm personally really impressed by the timbre of Kirk's new stuff. I can't believe the price...
    It certainly does sound very good and has a lot of bang for the buck it's just lacking on the percussion side but I guess you can't have everything unless you can afford to pay for everything. Does anyone know if there will be a giga3 version? Are there any benefits between a giga2.5 lib and giga3?

Go Back to forum