• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Idea for (soon-to-be) JABB users

Share/Bookmark

Idea for (soon-to-be) JABB users

I just thought of an idea.

Since the JABB drums will be meticulously controlled, they probably won't conform to any particular GM standard, which means we can't use MIDI loops or loop-creation software (slicydrummer, BIAB, jammer, etc.). This is for the best, as it sounds like the JABB drums' expressive potential is far greater than any of these things could provide.

My idea was that we users could set up a forum where we could stockpile drum patterns, beats, fills, etc. in a variety of styles. That is, we compose and program these loops (with variations, etc.) and organize them by style, era, tempo, etc. for all to download freely. This way we don't have to slow down our composing to tediusly lay down a drum track (a task that would put a halt to even some great composers). We can just download a "Slow Ballad with Stirs, 4/4," or "Uptempo Stevie Wonder funky hi-hat groove in 6/8" and compose around that or alter it to our needs. Then when we've composed the piece, we can go back and tweak the drums to match our needs a bit more specifically.

Come to think of it, we could do this with the whole rhythm section. A stockpile of basslines and walking bass patterns over various chords and progressions. Guitar and Piano comping patterns in various voicings and rhythms, afro-cuban montunos, endings, etc.

Any rhythm players or composers with rhythm chops interested in contributing? I'm a mediocre player on all these instruments, but I know enough about them to program some grooves--I'll be happy to contribute.

Gary, is there a place on your website or on the forum to keep a "Rhythm Section Toolbox?"

chris.

Re: Idea for (soon-to-be) JABB users

Superb idea Chris, I would be happy to kick in with a few 50's-60's Philly Joe Jones/Jimmy Cobb, Drum patterns.And imagine the patterns that drummers triggering from pads,could contribute.(The name styxx springs to mind ).
    It is actually hell on earth trying to program convincing swing drumming, so if we can help each other out a bit,we could save many laborious hours.
    regards

Thumbs up Re: Idea for (soon-to-be) JABB users

In Gary's site it exist the user created tips and files area. I think you will be able to obtain some kind of attention to your good idea.

Good idea chris - I had been thinking along these lines myself.

Time for all you drummers to step forward!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Great idea! I spend a lot of time creating drum patterns (that I never end up using anyway), I'd be happy to contribute.

Sounds like a great idea to me Chris!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Certainly would be useful.
    However, don't discount the new Jammer Pro ver 6. It allows you to construct those particular drum ( AND bass, AND piano, and ...and.... ) riffs or loops at a micro level, without the pain of havnig to hear the same 4 bars over and over and over. Styles can be selected by any or all of the above ( ( playing )criteria within an already existing instrument library that comes with the product.

Also, new with this version 6 is the capability to 'scrape' off of midi files ANY instrument pattern, at any length, and automatically turn it into a callable library riff or loop, edit it further, blend it with other styles, etc ...

I myself would like to see a thread started that would identify web sites where one can get Big Band ( or combo ) Jazz charts in MIDI !! Something to throw against JABB when it finally surfaces.

I am not affiliated with, nor do I work for SoundTrek ( JAMMER PRO ). I have 2 children in college, and one in junior high.... so all of my extra time is already consumed by 'others needs' and 'my guilt' ...

good luck ...

-- atonal

Quote Originally Posted by atonal

I myself would like to see a thread started that would identify web sites where one can get Big Band ( or combo ) Jazz charts in MIDI !!
    There are plenty - but copyright issues are a great problem. Just because they are available, doesn't make them legal.

I'm certainly going to do some mock-ups of existing big band arrangements, but my focus is going to be on creating new big band and jazz music.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Chris,

That's a great idea to have a clearinghouse or stockpile drum patterns, beats, fills, etc. in a variety of styles.

You'll be pleased to know that there are two general MIDI drum kits (classic jazz kit and fusion kit) so that you will be able to use many available beats and patterns.

Organizing such a collection is a reat idea.

Gary Garritan

That is a great idea! Especially for someone like me, who knows just about nothing about drum patterns and such. Great idea, I would definitely benefit from it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum