• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another KSP Bug?

Share/Bookmark

Another KSP Bug?

The KSP does not seem to be able to 'intercept' sustain pedal messages. ignore_controller doesn't work, nor does forcing %CC[64] to zero. For example:
    Code:
    on_controller
    if ($CC_NUM = 64)
    	ignore_controller
    end if
    end on
    should prevent sustain pedal messages from reaching an instrument but it doesn't. This same technique does work properly for other controllers that I've had occasion to want to intercept, but, it doesn't work for controller 64.
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

Re: Another KSP Bug?

Hi Bob,

At the risk of poseing a really stupid question!!

Would the Controller settings in the Instrument Options menu have anything to do with it? Or maybe even the fact that it's there?

T.S.

ignore_controller makes the script ignore the control event. I think in this case the sustain pedal is set to do its thing outside of the scripting engine so the ignore_controller has no effect here. I believe you need to use the preprocessor directive (in "on init") instead -

SET_CONDITION (NO_SYS_SCRIPT_PEDAL)

Then there will be no need to ignore it, just capture the event and proceed with the special handling of it.

On the other hand, maybe I don't have the complete picture either.

Best,
    fizbin

Hi Bob,

At the risk of poseing a really stupid question!!

Would the Controller settings in the Instrument Options menu have anything to do with it? Or maybe even the fact that it's there?

T.S.
    No Tod, it's not at all a stupid question. It's a very reasonable question since I didn't clarify what I was lamenting about. I realize that the sustain pedal can be disabled in instrument options, but, I expected CC64 to behave similarly to, for example, the pitch bender (CC128). Just venting some of my KSP frustrations, I guess.

ignore_controller makes the script ignore the control event. I think in this case the sustain pedal is set to do its thing outside of the scripting engine so the ignore_controller has no effect here. I believe you need to use the preprocessor directive (in "on init") instead -

Then there will be no need to ignore it, just capture the event and proceed with the special handling of it.

On the other hand, maybe I don't have the complete picture either.

Best,
    fizbin
    Hi Jay,

You pretty well have the complete picture. In fact your response is very much like the one I got from Nicki on the NI forum. As I said above in my response to T.S., I guess I was expecting it to work similarly to other controllers that can be simply intercepted (like the bender). I wonder if CC7 and CC10 have a similar problem since they sort of seem to be 'assigned internally' also. I guess I'll have to try an experiment with them and see what happens.

Thanks guys,

Bob

Sorry guys for the cryptic reply yesterday but I was up to my eyeballs in multiple problems. Now that things have settled down a little, let me try to clarify why I'm frustrated by this situation.

Being able to disable a function globally is no substitute for dynamic interception. For example, I may write a script that 'under some conditions' takes over the pitch-bender function. I want the user to be able to use this script with an existing instrument, without his need to alter it. Many instruments will be set up to recognize the bender and take action based on it. When the script wants to control what happens when the wheel is moved, without the normal instrument function competing with it, the script can simply intercept the MIDI bender messages and 'throw them away' so they never reach the instrument. This all works as might be expected.

Now, the obvious difference between this and the CC64 situation is that if we use the preprocessor command:
    Code:
    the pedal is disabled for the entire period that the script is running. The script has no ability to turn it back on under certain conditions. This is the same situation we had with the TKT script and the release sample problem.

I understand the explanation offered by NI that the CC64 is sort of 'hard-wired' via the Instrument Options but, I guess I don't understand why it must be that way! It seems to me that it would be far more useful if a script could conditionally intercept the CC64 just like any other controller. http://www.native-instruments.de/sit...908#post182908

BTW The same situation also exists for CC7 and CC10 and worse, there's not even a global script command to disable these. If a script ever wanted to disable control of these functions, dynamically or otherwise, the user would have to be given a set of instructions for changing his instrument settings. And Tod, do you remember the fun you had trying to wrestle CC7 and CC11 control away from K2?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob
    And Tod, do you remember the fun you had trying to wrestle CC7 and CC11 control away from K2?
    He, he, yah but thanks to you my friend, I got it all figured out and now that I know it's very simple.

Like I mentioned at NI, I don't mind the extra hassle if it makes it easier to for you to deal with your scripts.

T.S.

PS> Anybody else haveing a little trouble with the smilies. I haven't been able to get them to work for a couple of days.

I don't know ol' friend, I haven't had too much to smile about but I'll try one now

Seems to work, no?

Go Back to forum