• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Joaz Bossa Live Flute

Share/Bookmark

Joaz Bossa Live Flute

Gary often says he hopes that the samples, will lead people to the Live Players.
    Well here is the Bossa Nova from my Flute Sonata, with the Flute Part played by my friend Gareth Lockrane.The Piano Is the GPO Steinway.
    Some of you were kind enough to listen to my midi rendering of this piece, and I thought you might be curious to hear it with the Live flute.
    For those who would like to observe the differences,I include a link to the GPO-only version.
    It is impossible to overstate how useful I found GPO in writing this piece,I think it has improved my writing imeasureably, and gives me extra confidence to put the flute part into the hands of someone like Gareth.
    Regards

Bossa Nova Live Flute.mp3
    Bossa Nova GPO Only.mp3

Re: Joaz Bossa Live Flute

Joaz,
    The GPO version was already sounding great, but the live version is just incredible! Thanks for posting.
    ;-)

ps - you're not going to do a takeoff on DPDAN and come back in a couple of weeks and say it's ALL GPO, are you? ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    Joaz,
    The GPO version was already sounding great, but the live version is just incredible! Thanks for posting.
    ;-)

ps - you're not going to do a takeoff on DPDAN and come back in a couple of weeks and say it's ALL GPO, are you? ;-)
    Thanks man, I doubt if even Dan could make the GPO flute sound like Gareth,
    but when GPOA comes out, all bets are off.
    regards

Joaz,
    Glad to see you back in the forum and congrats on recording your music with a live player. I listened to both and I must say the differences are slight. I think the fast runs are cleaner with the live player. I enjoyed both listens. I've said it before (I hope you don't board a plane to come and get me) but at times I hear Piazzolla in your music. Well done.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Wow... Gareth's quite a player... great color he gets out of low ranges, and really a solid-and-true interpreter. (That bend ~4:12 caught my ear, too, by the way.)

Loved this piece when I first heard it; now I'm hard pressed, though, to decide which rendition I like more. There's a pristineness about the GPO version I like; but the Gareth version is warmer, more intimate, to me.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

aaah, bossa flute...almost nothing like it...gareth has a great sound, and i love his fat low register...the GPO flute sounds very convincing in a lot of spots, but of course, it's hard to beat a top-notch player like gareth and all of his natural inflection and nuance...this is a very enjoyable composition...looking foward to hearing some of you album, joaz!

josh

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Joaz,
    Glad to see you back in the forum and congrats on recording your music with a live player. I listened to both and I must say the differences are slight. I think the fast runs are cleaner with the live player. I enjoyed both listens. I've said it before (I hope you don't board a plane to come and get me) but at times I hear Piazzolla in your music. Well done.
    Thanks Bill,for the listen. Believe it or not,I don't know that much of Piazolla's stuff, I have heard maybe a dozen of his most famous nueva tango's but that is about it.
    The biggest latin influence on my writing is Tom Jobim (Antonio Carlos Jobim).
    I have played and studied deeply 300 of his songs and also his orchestral and Jazz stuff.
    Most people only know him for Girl from Ipanema, Desafinado, Corcovado etc, but this is just the tip of a huge iceberg.
    regards

This is fantastic. Great Jazz flute playing! I simply love this piece. After you sent me the score, I played it several times to friends on music evenings and it is always a hit together with the gorgeous Samba Although, I have to admit, being a classical flautist, my performances sound more like Mozart with a beat .....

Thanks for that lovely piece!! BTW did your friend Gareth record the Samba too? That will be another treat .

Kind Regards

LouisD

Thanks Josh and David, for the kind words.
    It certainly is interesting to compare and contrast the Live Fl. with the GPO isn't it ?
    I don't think the GPO Fl comes off too badly by the comparison. But the live Fl has a more nuanced vibrato, (speed , delay, depth).
    The Live Fl sound is brighter at the top and fatter at the bottom. But that perhaps, reflects more on my engineering skills, rather than the GPO Fl.
    Gareth is the loudest Flute Player I have ever heard, so the fatness of his low notes, perhaps comes from this. He drowns out Trumpets and drum kits routinely.

It is also interesting to see what musical qualities are brought out by a different view of the piece. My version of the Flute part sounds a little more melancholic. Gareth's version sounds more fiery and impassioned.
    Thanks once again for revisiting the piece.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    This is fantastic. Great Jazz flute playing! I simply love this piece. After you sent me the score, I played it several times to friends on music evenings and it is always a hit together with the gorgeous Samba Although, I have to admit, being a classical flautist, my performances sound more like Mozart with a beat .....

Thanks for that lovely piece!! BTW did your friend Gareth record the Samba too? That will be another treat .

Kind Regards

LouisD
    Thanks Louis. I am really gratified to know you played this piece. It makes it all worthwhile to think that my piece is starting to get a life on its own. I would love to hear a more classical version, because that is who it is written for.
    Any other flute players out there who would like a .pdf of the score let me know and I will e-mail it to you. (PM me if you would prefer)
    Yes Gareth recorded the Samba and the Chorinho. I will upload soon.
    regards

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast