• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which is the lesser of these two evils

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Which is the lesser of these two evils

Last year I won the East West Xmas contest and was to receive Gold Pro for my efforts. I just noticed on the EW website that while Gold ran on Windows 2000 Gold Pro will only run on Windows XP.

The thought of upgrading my OS makes me ill. Having to go through the install of every single driver, software app, sound set, and their respective authorizations is mind numbing.

I thought I should buy a new hard drive and build up slowly from there without monkeying with my W2K system which is purring nicely right now.

Or perhaps I should bite the bullet and buy a second computer to run these new softwares? Something bare bones with just enough horsepower to run some of these new VST's.

Is it possible to have two differnet OS's play nicely?

Can I use a program like FX Teleport to transmit the audio over a network and not have to buy a second sound card?

Is anybody else going through this? (or have gone through this?)

Perhaps a nice acoustic guitar, no wait, a bass only 4 strings to deal with...

Oh the horror, the horror...

Darren

PS Check out My Chemical Romance. They frickin' rock!

Re: Which is the lesser of these two evils

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    PS Check out My Chemical Romance. They frickin' rock!
    Can't help you on any points of yours above, but I can absolutely-frickin-agree with you on that note. Is the Helena video not the coolest you've seen in a while - with the spinning red and black unbrellas showchoiring down the cathedral stairs - I love it.

Anyway - I reinstall my OS every 6 months - its not as bad as it seems and XP will reload alot of those drivers automatically now.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I'd say bite the bullet and upgrade to XP.. you're going to run into more and more apps that will only run on XP. You could investigate a dual boot setup to run XP alongside your W2K setup, this is what I did when I went from Win98 to XP a few years ago, but I guarantee that as you install more apps in XP you'll find yourself working in XP more and will one day blow the whole thing up to have an XP only system..

I bought a second hard drive and installed XP on that one and have a dual boot prompt at start-up. The only issue is that XP sees both hard drives and can access all files, but if I boot up the Win ME drive, it only sees the "ME" hard drive.

Works perfect, no issues.

While I agree that you are going to need to upgrade to XP, if your current box is running smoothly, and you have the resourses ($$) I'd advise you to go for another computer. More and more huge memory, CPU and hard-disk-hungry apps are hitting the shelves, and combining a few computers into your studio is IMHO a good approach. If one dies, you can keep working, and more simultaneous tracks is always worth the effort...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

It might be worth it to try running it in Win2k then. It's a Kontakt sample player right? - don't see why it would not run in Win 2K.

fizbin

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Can't help you on any points of yours above, but I can absolutely-frickin-agree with you on that note. Is the Helena video not the coolest you've seen in a while - with the spinning red and black unbrellas showchoiring down the cathedral stairs - I love it.

Anyway - I reinstall my OS every 6 months - its not as bad as it seems and XP will reload alot of those drivers automatically now.
    Alan,

Yes! The video to Helena is frickin' outstanding. I can't stop listening to this album. I'm driving my co-workers nuts. I also bought their 1st album and was not so impressed. But the new one is the greatest bunch of songs I have heard in a long time. MCR Rocks!

As far as my XP vs W2K issues it looks like another computer in my future. Just when I get all of the bugs ironed out Mr Gates will introduce the the new windows tentatively titled "SUCKMOREMONEYOUTOFDARREN"

Rats...

Darren

PS Thanks everyone for the advice!

You definetely can run EWQLSO with FX Teleport on slave computers with no problems whatsoever.

2000 and XP on separate computers is no problem as well...

Quote Originally Posted by clonewar
    I'd say bite the bullet and upgrade to XP.. you're going to run into more and more apps that will only run on XP. You could investigate a dual boot setup to run XP alongside your W2K setup, this is what I did when I went from Win98 to XP a few years ago, but I guarantee that as you install more apps in XP you'll find yourself working in XP more and will one day blow the whole thing up to have an XP only system..
    I presume the XP drive is NTFS. I always prep drives to FAT32 using the utility cd that came with them so they can be shifted between systems.

Ernie

XP is the best OS that Microsoft has made so far, and since Vista is still far away, you might as well bite the bullet and do it. It'll only take you a day to reinstall everything.

I've only heard of My Chemical Romance by name, but knew nothing about them. I went to their site and checked out the videos--very nice songwriting talent--catchy as hell. And was a frontman/lead singer! I bet he gets ALL the chicks. I see a lot of different influences in the band both visually and sonically. They're like a blend of Japanese visual rock, punk, emo..etc combined, and the videos feels like they've watched their share of Korean music videos.

Go Back to forum