• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Technical Issues - Clicks

Share/Bookmark

OT: Technical Issues - Clicks

Hi...

I'm having some trouble with my setup. 1 computer with an M-audio Audiophile soundcard is connected to my main DAW which has an M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcard. It is connected via S/PDIF cable. Think is I'm getting random clicks and pops regardless of whether I am playing back sound or not.

I figure that it must be something with how the cards and synched with each other.

Here is what the troubleshooting manual is says:

Problem: I’m getting some pops and clicks in my monitoring signal, even
    when my system is idle.
    Possible Cause: If the S/PDIF input is not muted in the monitor mixer,
    and you have the Delta 1010’s master clock set to something other than the
    S/PDIF input, you are monitoring an out-of-sync S/PDIF stream. This can result in lost or bogus samples being recorded.
    If I mute the S/PDIF input then that obviously works - but I'm not interested in that since I'm actually using it. Now for the past two days I have tried what feels like every possible option of syncing the two machines.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: OT: Technical Issues - Clicks

This thing is killing me!

Not that this helps, but I had tons of problems with the Audiophile 24/96 card and eventually got rid of it because it was driving me insane with pops in Giga.

You might try using the analog outs of the audiophile into analog in on you host just to be sure that the clicks go away. Then you definitely know it's a clocking type issue.

Also, I don't know if you're using the midi on the audiophile card but I had pops when I used the midi, and eventually got another midi interface for that machine and just used the audiophile card for audio, and that seemed to help a little bit.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by donimon
    ...I had pops when I used the midi, and eventually got another midi interface for that machine and just used the audiophile card for audio, and that seemed to help a little bit.

Jeff

Same experience here, Marcussen. It definitely proved to be the M-Audio MIDI on the 1010; all audio popping problems ceased when I stopped using it. Sometimes there were many soft pops in the audio, sometimes few. But they always happened until I stopped using that MIDI interface. Later, I was talked into trying it again by another user who had no such troubles. Still no good. I think digital output was muted, but can't remember for sure now.

It may not be what's plaguing your setup, but it's a known trouble. I hope it's that simple in your case. Good luck!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by donimon
    Not that this helps, but I had tons of problems with the Audiophile 24/96 card and eventually got rid of it because it was driving me insane with pops in Giga.

You might try using the analog outs of the audiophile into analog in on you host just to be sure that the clicks go away. Then you definitely know it's a clocking type issue.

Also, I don't know if you're using the midi on the audiophile card but I had pops when I used the midi, and eventually got another midi interface for that machine and just used the audiophile card for audio, and that seemed to help a little bit.

Jeff
    The Audiophile card works just fine with the analogues. I just cant use them for a permanent solution since all my analogue ports are in use on the 1010. I'm using the midi in on the 1010 but again it works fine until I turn on the computer whith the SPDIF out. I've tried use the SPDIF on another computer with the same result - clicks.

:-/

Have you got the master/slave relationship correct on the soundcards? I seem to remember (some time in the distant past) that for some reason I needed to set the clocking on my GS computer to master, and the DAW to slave, in order to cure a click and pop situation.
    In my current situation it is irrelevant, as none of my slaves have soundcards.
    Regarding M-Audio and MIDI; this has been a disaster for me and I no longer use it for keyboard input, although some of my standalone MIDI equipment is still connected via a MidiSport 8x8.

D

Go Back to forum