• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which part of making music do you enjoy/hate the most?

Share/Bookmark

Which part of making music do you enjoy/hate the most?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Just wondering how everyone else feels about the different aspects of making music. Some people hate dealing with the recording engineering aspect and wishes that someone else could do it for them instead, and some people don't mind tweaking the mix, effects, and fine-tuning the mastering. Some people only like composing, and would rather have someone else do the arrangement/orchestration, while some loves arranging/orchestrating, and find composing to be frustrating. Some people love playing instruments more than composing, and some people are better at composing than playing instruments. What about you?

I personally enjoy just about every step of the process, and even when things are frustrating, it's still fun. But if I have to name one thing I really don't enjoy, it's the technical troubleshooting of software/hardware problems, organizing samples, wasting time auditioning hundreds of presets to find the sound I need..etc.

Re: Which part of making music do you enjoy/hate the most?

What I enjoy: When the ideas actually become coherent and then blossom!

What I hate: interruptions; especially when my eldest of five kids enters the room making drum beats in his mouth ( you know what I mean? )

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Hey, what happened to this thread!? Lots of replies, including mine, just vanished. I didn't read anything that deserved censorship! Was this up in Sample Libraries --- I can't remember. If so, whomever moved it to O.T. did a big computer boo-boo!

Ern
    I think it might have been a double-posting. I seem to remember that but am not sure where the other one was (my remarks have disappeared, too).
    ;-0

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

No, I posted it only once, in this forum. I don't understand what happened either. STRANGE.

You've been baaaaaad boys!

Rob

I enjoy every step in making music.

Let me rephrase.
    The part I hate is having a lack of or no ideas for a long period of time.
    I'm a drummer first and have taken voice, ear, sight singing and theory in college. I understand the technical of most the instruments of the orchestra as well as others outside of except for the oboe. (Somehow was skipped during technical course in woodwinds.)
    I've met many vocalists I respect but never would give them a tambourine again.
    Styxx

I feel sorry for you Styxx, my guess is the batteries need some time to recharge. However, it's what feels good to do that counts and if making music doesn't feel good and you don't rely on it for income then don't do it, assuming you can find other productive ways to use the time. If it's your income then that's a different and more serious problem

For myself I've been making both classical and pop music lately. I used to find the notation aspect of classical music unenjoyable. Now the software's improved so it's easier and the results look pretty darn good, so now I enjoy it.

On the pop music side, I enjoy the writing, playing (except drums) and arranging, but mixing is a dark art. Then I saw a reference to this article and now I feel there's hope;

http://www.dreampoint.co.uk/articles/howtomix.htm

So if I were to come to any conclusions it would be that the things I don't enjoy are the things I don't know much about. That would include drumming, it's not that I don't know about drumming, it's that I'm not that good at it. Having a sequencer, an Octapad, an appropriately designed pedal with sensor connected to Octapad and some samples of drum sets doesn't make me a drummer. I used to think drummers were dumb, then I tried drumming, I had to conclude that it's a skill position within a band. I still won't ask them to sing.

Steve
    http://www.audiostreet.net/stevechandler
    http://www.soundclick.com/stevechandler

Go Back to forum