• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pitch Bend in GPO Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Pitch Bend in GPO Instruments

I'm working with one of my already existing MIDI files, and coming across the first instance where I used pitch bend.

On the synth module the tracks were originally played on, the amount of bend was of course programmable for each instrument. The default setting was two half steps.

In this instance, I set the bend to travel four half steps.

Now in playing the track with GPO, I see that the default bend is just one or two half steps--not positive which.

There Has to be a way to program the bend amount, since in extreme cases, one may want a full 12 step bend.

I can't find info on the site for this---what's the solution?

rbowser

Re: Pitch Bend in GPO Instruments

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser
    There Has to be a way to program the bend amount, since in extreme cases, one may want a full 12 step bend.

I can't find info on the site for this---what's the solution?
    The Kontakt player does not allow external control of the pitchbend range. It also does not support separate controllers for large and small gradations of pitchbend. So, decisions had to be made about firm settings. Most instruments are set to 2 semitones so that the user can control subtle changes in intonation, scoops, slides and bends. This was deemed more important in most situations than large amounts of pitchbend since, as I discussed in another thread, any straight transpositions over a minor third result in formant displacement problems. Using larger default settings up to 12 semitones in either direction would also have come at the loss of subtle control - a much too important loss.

If the user wishes to use larger pitchbend settings there are only two ways of accomplishing this with the present player: Edit the instrument files in the full version of Kontakt and save them with the larger range settings; or, if you have it installed, use the Notation folder instruments which use a default setting of +/-12 semitones on most instruments (at the loss of subtle control.)

We hope that future versions of the player give more flexibility to pitchbend choices but this remains to be seen and is, ultimately, up to Native Instruments.

Tom

Re: Pitch Bend in GPO Instruments

Your answers are so clear and helpful, thanks again, Tom.

Makes sense--what you said about pitch bend and the GPO instruments.

I'm trying to adapt the more severe pitch bends in my sequences into Portamento events--not quite working yet. I'll try to get a better handle on how Portamento works with GPO--I see there's a tutorial to read.

Thanks again.

rbowser

Go Back to forum