• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: The best protection against Crashes?

Share/Bookmark

Smile OT: The best protection against Crashes?

Any advice for protecting my DAW from a hard drive crash? I mean like a drive going bad or something. I know there is the Raid system but not sure how all that works. Right now, All my Cubase project files are stored in "My Documents" and then I have all of them backed up on an external drive which doubles for streaming "Gold" and "Stormdrum". Atleast when I do crash the internal drive I'll have my project files but I know that as far as the structuring of all my plugs and sample storage on the internal (from before I had my external) will be horribly messed up and I almost cant imagine how almost impossible it would be to get everything functioning again. With Raid backup, can you just sort of swap drives and be going again? I'm not sure how all this works. Any advice would be welcome as I am about to undertake a project that might last a year or more and I'm just concerned with taking all the precautions that I can so as not to slow things down any more than necessary when the inevitable finally happens. Thanks.

Eric

Re: OT: The best protection against Crashes?

In a RAID setup, 2 hard drives connect to an add-on board called a "RAID controller" (some more expensive motherboards have it built-in).

For data security against crashes, the RAID is set up as a "mirror". This means that everything is always written to both drives.

If a drive crashes, your computer still works perfectly... you just get a message that one of the drives has failed. It tells you which one.

You buy another drive of at least the same size and replace the failed drive.

When you restart your computer, the RAID system copies all the data from the good drive over to the new "mirror" drive. And everything is back to normal.

Simple! And effective.

There are more advanced RAID setups that provide faster-than-normal read/write speed. If you use 4 drives, you can get both... extra speed AND mirroring.

But what I've described in this reply is the basic data security setup that you are asking about.

Type in "RAID mirror tutorial" on Google and you will find a ton of useful information.

Hope this helps,

--- Glenn

Thanks Glenn. This sounds like just what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Eric

I use a Mac G5 with 4 drives. Two of which are firewire Seagate drives. Never had any problems. I also use Disk Warrior, and repair permissions every Sunday and have my main hard drive backed up.

Anyone know how the Mac G5 power supplies stack up?

Peace

Rik

If older macs are any indication. Then the power drive on my old IICX that I bought in '91 used still works fine. I've never had one hardware failure on any mac I've ever owned.

Now PC's have cheaper components and the power supply on one failed. So now I always but an expesive high quality power supply for PC.

As far as backing up files (to bring it back on topic) I love the raid idea. Very cool. I'll look into it for newer machines. It's funny that in 15 years of doing music I've never had to go back to a sequence to reconstruct it but maybe once and that was by choice. I find that once you get to the final mixdown that becomes my backup. So I just burn an audio CD and a data CD of the mixdowns and that's pretty much it. I of course back up all project files to another HD when I'm working though.

But maybe it's me. I'm just use to writing everything from scratch anyway so even if I have to reference an older cue I'll just remember it and have the basic sequence down in 20 min.

Ars

Go Back to forum