• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Galactica (Finale)

Share/Bookmark

Galactica (Finale)

This is the finale of an 8 part suite composed over a long period. The finale was the second part of Galactica Suite to be finished, I think. It was used in a video production about astronomy at the California Academy of Science about 15 years ago. I just now managed to give it the GPO treatment. I have hopes that the timpani part can be managed by no more than two sets of timpani. It might need two flutes, just to stagger the breathing. 8 violins ought to work okay, everthing else, I think 1 to a part. Perhaps the cello could do better with two. It would sound really great played in a hall with a terrible echo!

It can be considered as a 3 1/2 minute crescendo. I did not set the volume as high as I would like for fear of damage to ear drums or speakers.

Galactica (Finale) (score)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=75232

Galactica (Finale) mp3
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/7/5/2/75232.mp3

Richard

Re: Galactica (Finale)

wild stuff man!! sounds like those darn dracos from the sirian system are up to no good!! i guess we'll have more to fear than laser-guided weapons ...hope the grays from the orion belt can step in and help us

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    wild stuff man!! sounds like those darn dracos from the sirian system are up to no good!! i guess we'll have more to fear than laser-guided weapons ...hope the grays from the orion belt can step in and help us
    Thank you. I have sent your comments to my son for translation.

Richard

One of the joys of your pieces, is how you take common materials,and make them sound different and unique. Like the flute figure.
    I like the way the tymps join in on the melodic fun.
    regards

Wow, it sounds really gallactic!

I like this!
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Thumbs up Re: Galactica (Finale)

I may imagine the effect of this score accompaining terrific vision of planets and stars explosion and evolution...

Probably it's not the favorite style of forum's users, but it is quite an interesting composition.

Richard,

Great energy and drive. There is a strangeness - a beautiful strangeness - that is very attactive. The language is very consistent - the pitch content seems very coherent.
    My only criticism is that the instruments don't seem too realistically placed. They all seem too far forward. How to fix? I have no idea - I can break the eggs but can't make an omelette... It may be a reverb issue, or the compression that comes with converting to mp3. But it seems to me that this piece needs more space (no pun intended), a larger environment in which to sound.

Very enjoyable.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Richard,

. But it seems to me that this piece needs more space (no pun intended), a larger environment in which to sound.

R. Pearl
    Absolutely correct! For live performance, it would do very well in some of the echo laden catherdals I have been in. You may also be right about the placement. I hadn't thought much about that.

All of the comments about this piece are indeed gratifying. I like it quite a lot, but have not done very much orchestration, and was a bit concerned because of that.

Because the original of the suite was mostly for synth, and not expected to be playable, some parts have been greatly revised, but this is as it was in the beginning except for the flute. Some movements have been totally trashed. I am now working on the replacement of one of the trashed movements, which I hope will be a real knockout. So far, it is just the beginning sketch on a pile of manuscript paper, like my cello sonata.

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 10-08-2005 at 12:27 PM. Reason: small correction

Fascinating and highly effective, Richard. The sensation of suspension against shifting layers and textures is intriguing.

As for the orchestration, yes, it may be a bit ambitious in terms of performance requirements -- but to me, it seems emminently doable with a few extra players.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It's like you combined Ligeti's "Atmospheres" with the pointelistic (sp?) works of Schoenberg and company. Fantastic!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast