• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt II vs Standalone instruments

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt II vs Standalone instruments

Ok, I'm new to this, having all of three Kontakt based virtual synths (GPO, Virtual Piano and Akoustik Piano) as well as Kontakt II. It was the synths, btw, that caused me to buy K2.

I understand that the underlying synth engines are Kontakt based, but it's becoming more obvious that I can't just load up patches into Kontakt and expect the same results as the standalone unit. Seems weird but I'll deal with it.

Can anyone explain the nuances of the relationship between the two? Why doesn't the NKI file work the same in both?

In particular, I have noticed that the piano release is zero - immediate cutoff - when a patch is loaded into Kontakt. Can somebody explain why and let me know if there is a standard workaround.

Links to threads work to, I just don't know where to start to look.

Thanks

Ernie

Re: Kontakt II vs Standalone instruments

A lot of the libraries that have a built-in Kontakt player also contain programming for the samples that is specifically designed for the player and will be added when the samples are loaded (a specific example is the sustain pedal legato feature in GPO). I believe that this is programmed into the player itself.

Kontakt 2 is more open-ended and not library specific. You could probably emulate the programming yourself, but you'd have to know what you need and how to do it. Kontakt 2 allows you a lot more flexibility but at the expense of the more "automatic" handling of samples that you get with the library-specific players. I don't own Akoustic Piano or VGP, but I know that there has been quite a bit of discussion at the GPO forum about this - try a search for Kontakt 2. There may even be tutorials on the Garritan site.

Akoustik PIano and Bandstand are both based on newer engines of Kontakt 2, than currently available. Therefore the instrument won´t load in Kontakt 2.0.2.

Hope this helps,
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    In particular, I have noticed that the piano release is zero - immediate cutoff - when a patch is loaded into Kontakt. Can somebody explain why and let me know if there is a standard workaround.
    There are one or two problems with release samples in K2. Apparently they will be fixed in the next update (whenever that may be!!!).

Paul.

I'm waiting for that update too.. (2.0.3)..

Any news about when will it be available and what kind of bugs they are trying to solve? (It would be great to receive this kind of infro from NI in this sponsored forum)

Hi,

Martin have already given the explaination !

Regards,

Olivier

Go Back to forum