• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Insuring Sample Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Question Insuring Sample Libraries

Hi, everyone. I've been checking out various insurance companies on the web for my home studio. Do you guys know which ones will cover sample libraries? I'm looking at Clarion Insurance right now. I read their insurance policy, but it is not clear as to exactly WHAT a musical instrument IS. I'm sending them a list of my gear to see if they will insure the samples.

Has anyone ever had to file a claim for lost or stolen samples? What were the results of those claims, if any?

Thanks!
    Mike

Re: Insuring Sample Libraries

Software is the same as hardware as far as they're concerned. The main issue is whether your instruments are considered business equipment or just general property. If it's business equipment, standard homeowner's or renter's insurance won't cover it.

I use ASCAP's MusicPro insurance - it's the least expensive, it covers equipment when it's out of your studio, you can include computer systems, and they understand musical equipment.

The Musician's Union has the same thing, but you have to join the union - which is good if you're orchestrating, but composers are considered management.

a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Hi,

Some libraries can be copied for backup and it is, in fact, legal to make a backup copy for yourself. For those, I have backed them up multiple times and have extra copies in an alternate location. That will cover me in the event that I have a fire or am robbed. I have not insured those libraries as I know that I can install from the backups. One thing to note though, is that I won't be covered if we have a major natural disaster in my city as the alternate location is still in my city.

There are some libraries which cannot be copied. I own Culture which requires a dongle. Others have their media formatted/burned in such a way that it is impossible to copy them. I own Arturia's Minimoog VSTi and it's CD cannot be copied for example. For those libs, I include them in my insurance coverage.

FV

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    The main issue is whether your instruments are considered business equipment or just general property. If it's business equipment, standard homeowner's or renter's insurance won't cover it.
    Even if it's not business equipment (ie it is just a hobby, albeit expensive one), it doesn't take a long time to have an investment of $10,000 or more on sample libs, especially over time. Even though your homeowner's policy may cover it, you're still best to find out, before a problem, what will be covered and what won't. I had a policy at one time where, anything over a certain dollar amount for computer equipment would not be covered and I needed to add it to my policy. I changed to one that was more flexible - point being that policies can vary and it is best to know exactly what you've got covered and what you don't.

HTH,
    FV

FWIW I have about $30K worth of coverage through MusicPro, and it's in the $300/year range. If your homeowner's insurance will cover business equipment, it will require a floater that's much more expensive than that.

Trust me, I've done the research, and what I've ended up with is the best deal.

There are two sides to licensing sounds. We spend a lot of time talking about our restrictions of use and and the rights of developers, but this is a subject where the user has rights. When we "buy" a library, we're buying the right to use those sounds in our compositions. The costs of the packaging, physical CDs/DVDs, marketing and support are all business expenses of the developer. If you are a registered user of a library and your physical disks are destroyed by a disaster, you still have the right to use those sounds, and a reputable developer should be willing to replace the lost disks for a nominal charge (cost of the discs) and postage. Legally, you should not have to re-license the intellectual property just because your physical copy was damaged.
    That said, I still always copy the discs and store the back-ups elsewhere for safety. Hopefully this will prevent this issue from arising. I insure all of my hardware but based on my attorney's advice, I don't insure the llibraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff
    There are two sides to licensing sounds. We spend a lot of time talking about our restrictions of use and and the rights of developers, but this is a subject where the user has rights. When we "buy" a library, we're buying the right to use those sounds in our compositions. The costs of the packaging, physical CDs/DVDs, marketing and support are all business expenses of the developer. If you are a registered user of a library and your physical disks are destroyed by a disaster, you still have the right to use those sounds, and a reputable developer should be willing to replace the lost disks for a nominal charge (cost of the discs) and postage. Legally, you should not have to re-license the intellectual property just because your physical copy was damaged.
    That said, I still always copy the discs and store the back-ups elsewhere for safety. Hopefully this will prevent this issue from arising. I insure all of my hardware but based on my attorney's advice, I don't insure the llibraries.
    I believe this is correct. I grabbed my libraries on my Texas evacuation trip, but I think developers would have no problems in replacing your discs for the cost of shipping (and maybe a few cents for the dupe). Still, I'm going to check into what the Ape said. I have been looking for this kind of thing forever and most were just too $$$.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

We have replaced some CDs to people affected by the recent disaster. One good thing about online registration is that there is an online record of serial numbers. The cost of the media is nominal and the serial number is on record. If you registered you should be able to get replacements from the companies you purchased them from.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by unconscious sound
    Hi, everyone. I've been checking out various insurance companies on the web for my home studio. Do you guys know which ones will cover sample libraries? I'm looking at Clarion Insurance right now. I read their insurance policy, but it is not clear as to exactly WHAT a musical instrument IS. I'm sending them a list of my gear to see if they will insure the samples.

Has anyone ever had to file a claim for lost or stolen samples? What were the results of those claims, if any?

Thanks!
    Mike

Very interesting question man! We all insure our recording gear, so why not our sample cd's....I will definetly be watching this thread.

Go Back to forum