• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX-Rex2 to Sage conversion sounds distorted

Share/Bookmark

RMX-Rex2 to Sage conversion sounds distorted

Hello:

I have the Drums on Demand library vol.4 in .wav. I converted all of the files in the first folder (60_Ballad_rim) to Rex 2 files using ReCycle. Then, I used the Sage Converter to convert the Rex2 files to RMX files. I noticed distortion on the loops with Tom fills. Any suggestions to clean this up? I tried lowering the gain in ReCycle about 4.5 db, but I still hear this distortion on the Toms.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: RMX-Rex2 to Sage conversion sounds distorted

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetho
    Hello:

I have the Drums on Demand library vol.4 in .wav. I converted all of the files in the first folder (60_Ballad_rim) to Rex 2 files using ReCycle. Then, I used the Sage Converter to convert the Rex2 files to RMX files. I noticed distortion on the loops with Tom fills. Any suggestions to clean this up? I tried lowering the gain in ReCycle about 4.5 db, but I still hear this distortion on the Toms.

Thanks,

Tom
    How many slices?

Also, it would help to hear an mp3 of the problem.

The samples from DOD supplied in REX converted with no problems-- except they were not as seemless as I like (head and tail.)

But since I lost just under a terrabyte of my files (including back-ups) I get to do it over. Any shortcuts, anyone, anyone?

But, Eric, if you are checking back on this line, might you comment on using ReCycle for older loops and converting them, particularly what to look for at head & tail.

Thanks

Eric:

Thanks for your reply. Each loop was 15-20 slices.

I will try and send you an mp3 file. I'm also going to go back and check the original .wav files to see if they are also distorted.

Thanks,

Tom

Eric:

I found out what was causing the problem with distortion. I had the sensitivity up too high in Recycle, so it was slicing the ringout of the Toms up into several slices. I read that you should only have one slice per sound.

Thanks,

Tom

A preface: The KEY thing to consider about Recycling beats is that each groove and/or groove "type" have certain limitations in regards to successful RX2 file conversion/creation.

So far as Recycle goes, I never use the "sensitivity" to assign slices, unless the groove is swing. Instead I always assign the 16th note grid, and then add slices with that as a starting point. From there, if it's more of a straight ahead groove (without delays and whatnot), I get more specific, and delete any of the slice points that are unnecessary. Also, if there are 32nd note moments (etc) I add the appropriate slices manually. On top of that, with more "organic grooves", tweaking specific slice placement can really help with the end result. Subtle shifts, according to where the sound falls in conjunction with the formatted (grid) slice placement, should be employed.

So far as levelling goes, I highly recommend using peak, and mastering, normalizing the groove close to 0db. I actually prefer to normalize most samples I creat to about 85-90% of max gain.

A couple more hints for success... If you're creating complicated RX2 grooves with sampled instruments, it's better to deconstruct the "mixed" loop(s) into specific components to be triggered individually in RMX. They've one upped the engine, and use multi REX playback, which is super genius. In that philosophy, it's best to take sounds with deeper decay as separate elements vs. quick, abrupt sounds. Also, in addition to tweaking the "stretch" feature, the "decay" time of slices can have interesting results, and should never be overlooked.

Recycle is a supertool, and utlizing it to advance the creativity can be, and is an artform in and of itself. I'm sure Eric would agree with this!

Hope that helps a little. :-)

Flare:

Thanks for your in-depth tips! One question- what do you mean by saying that you use 16th notes on a grid instead of the sensitivity setting? Don't you have to use the sensitivity setting in Recycle? Are you saying you place the slices in manually?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

I actually almost never use the sensitivity feature; while I'm sure it works great for some, I'm much more comfortable using the grid and tweaking that way, instead.

On that note, in Recycle, under the View menu, select "Show Grid"... Then, under the Process menu, select "Add Slices To Grid"... This will lay slices over the 16th note points in the track/groove - You now will have the groove sliced into perfect 16th notes. After that, depending on the complexity of the groove, you might be able to remove certain slice points to provide better representation of the groove, in relation to tempo syncing. In other words, if you have a simple solo kick/snare groove going "Boom..Tap..Boom.Boom.Tap.." The slices would fall on 1.1.1, 1.2.1, 1.3.1, 1.3.3, and 1.4.1 (x.y.z - x=bar, y=beat, z=16th).

Obviously that's a very simple example; introducing a hi-hat with 8ths and 16th note articulations is what will dictate placement of slices within a similar groove.

Hope that clarifies things.

Go Back to forum