• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What Libraries/Instruments would you buy?

Share/Bookmark

Smile What Libraries/Instruments would you buy?

Ok. Apparently dreams do come true. Someone wants to hire me as a full time composer for maybe a year atleast for a large gaming project. The pay is better than my current day job and it IS what I want to do. I did inform this guy that there might be a few holes in my sound pallette that should be filled in before this project is taken on such as a sound effects library. So I'd like to list what it is I have and take any advice for what everyone thinks would fill the gaps within the realm of about $3,000-$4,000. I swear this isnt a show off list of what I already have. I legitimately want good advice on fitting additions to my collection thus far. The game is a full spectrum RPG in the realm of fantasy but also interplanetary so I think almost anything goes. What I have so far is EWQLSO Gold, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Stormdrum, Vapor, Albino, Symphony of Voices, and Halion with a few old akai samples. I think that pretty much sums it all up except for hardware stuff which I'm not really concerned with. I guess first off I need a really comprehensive effects library and then to look at all the other possibilities. I appreciate any input. If I was being selfish I know of a few things I'd get but I want to see what the pros think. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Re: What Libraries/Instruments would you buy?

Show off.

Talking Re: What Libraries/Instruments would you buy?

Lol Joseph. I knew I couldnt trust the masses to not tease me.

Assuming you mean FANTASY (wizards, trolls, etc.) and not Sci-fi:

Looks like you've got the orchestra part rounded out, as GPO and Gold would serve you well enough.

I'd say RA (since a lot of the fantasy RPG's I've ever played had some ethnic music in them.)

A fully featured percussion library probably wouldn't go amiss either. The VSL percussion set would probably fit the bill nicely.

It kind of depends on the direction of the game too. Would the battle scenes contain the usual heavy metal fare? (Don't know for the life of me how that ever got started.) Or are they to be orchestrated? If heavy metal, check out Lyrical Distortion. Orchestrated, then again, you'll be okay with the boomy tiakos in Stormdrum.

Have you thought about Atmosphere? It seems to be highly popular, as well as RMX.

I'd also recommend going ahead and including Kontakt 2 in your setup.

Or you could go with the catch all Colossus which is a pretty well rounded tool-kit of sounds. I've posted already about how much I think of it. The Stormdrone patches might suit you.

Have no recommendation on a SFX library.

Eric-

Do not be ashamed of showing off -- but be aware of the work you put yourself in for with each new package. (I had a major 3 drive crash and burn last week about this time and have spent more than 120 hours rebuilding.)

It has come to be my opinion that Kontakt 2 with Garritan, JAAB, EWSO Gold or Platinum Pro, Albino 2 and Stylus RMX would take a long time to to get coordinated properly and fully understood before any real creative work would be completed and you would feel productive... at least that is my experience before this insane crash/reload and type type type (challenge and response on almost every package.)

I just wrote a review on AudioBlog (TM) for audiogroupltd.com on the Kontakt 2 Experience package. If you start to understand what that can open your eyes and ears to, other than for some base sound packages, K-2 becomes a programming and composition tool that will be leading the pack for a long time.

And with it -- packages like Giovanni and Diva -- those featuring just pure sound in format, become a treasure as starting points.

I have yet to see Overture 4 as a composition tool -- but that to me is a good directioon to head too.

Well so far you've mentioned most of the things I was already thinking of. This game is Science fantasy AND science fiction. It is HUGE. Sort of like Everquest with 27 planets. I'm also thinking of adding Giovanni in addition to SOV. How extensive is the percussion that is included in the VSL sounds that come with Kontakt 2? Just wondering.

Eric

You're right, that's something to consider too. You may inundate yourself with 'too much to chose from.' That's a syndrome I go through when I sit down at the DAW lately.

So the decision becomes more difficult.

And the point about installation woes is worth considering. I can only imagine if my drives started going under on me. I just moved the files around last night to some new larger drives and it was a 4 hour process.

And you have to deal with the challenge response problems that may arise for every Kontakt Player/Kompakt library you purchase. So, you may want to look at similar unprotected products that are just sounds.

Good points!

The percussion in K2's library is pretty generic. The orchestra portion that is. The drum kits are okay for what they are. They're serviceable. The library is actually shockingly competent all around. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality of what's included.

I would highly recommend adding Giovani to your collection. The legato phrasing is excellent and the Vocal Utility is very easy to use. Building custom phrases is scary simple.

Eric,

Are you having to use your own personal libraries to do this work? If so, are you being compensated for it? The gaming industry makes billions of dollars a year on the backs of overworked, underpaid, talented people like your self. I recently read in a 3D magazine how some industry experts feel the whole industry will collapse if the comapanies don't start treating their employees more fairly. Average work weeks are 60-80 hours.

Please don't get the idea that I'm a burned out union guy or something like that. I just hate to see anybody taken advantage of by a company that stands to make a ton of money off of your hard work (and your equipment) In the past I have used my own equipment for my day job. I finally got to the point where I charged the company for my stuff. They agreed it was above and beyond the call of duty to use my own stuff and paid me for it.

Just the ramblings of an older man

Good Luck,

Darren

Smile Re: What Libraries/Instruments would you buy?

Interesting Darren,
    I hadnt really thought of the equipment use thing. They are expecting me to use my own studio (if you can call it that). They are basically talking about bringing me on for a salary to work like an in-house composer. Is this standard? I have know idea. As long as I'm in my own home studio I figure it leaves me free to do other projects at the same time such as commercials and what not. They are also willing to bring my libraries up to snuff, thus this thread. The pay is better than my current day job for sure and I figure that this will really make me grow at an exponential rate as far as being a composer and engineer of my own stuff. My boss right now is cool enough to probably let me do this and if the gig is up in a year or so, he let me come back. It seems rather risk free if only I can keep the insurance flowing. I definitely need to figure some things out. I'm also thinking that a second PC is going to be necessary for the new plugs and what not. I appreciate your advice and I would love to hear from some others that have game experience. So far all of my work has been commercials and short business films. I know I have the gig if I want it. I guess I just need to make sure that it's a good deal before I take it. Thanks for looking out for me Darren.

Eric

Go Back to forum