• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Musickes Delight"

Share/Bookmark

"Musickes Delight"

I'd started on this piece a couple of weeks ago, but had real trouble getting a clean output file from it (all sorts of clicks and pops in it). My copy of SONAR 5 arrived yesterday, so I used that as an excuse to redo the project from scratch.

This is "Musickes Delight", from Tobias Hume's Poeticalle Musicke (PDF). Originally written for two tenor viols (or lutes, or opharions) and a bass viol, I had arranged it for five parts in hopes that my early music consort could perform and/or record it, but we went down to four members before we'd done more than play it through a few times at rehearsal.

Thanks to the magic of GPO, I was able to bring it to life anyway, as a wind quintet of flute, oboe d'amore, English horn, bassoon and contrabassoon:

MP3 format (3.4 MB)
    Ogg Vorbis format (3 MB)

I'm really falling in love with all the GPO wind instruments, but most especially the bassoons.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: "Musickes Delight"

Wonderful!

I really enjoyed this, especially music of that era.

… makes me want to dig into my old Renaissance archives and construct a piece of my own.

Nice website too!..

I see you're an avid 3D'er what software are you using? It's difficult to tell, by the render.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    I see you're an avid 3D'er what software are you using? It's difficult to tell, by the render.
    The stuff here was done with POV-Ray, and the stuff here was done with Hash Animation:Master.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Nice job on this -- wonderful intimate feel to the production on it. Great choice of voicing, too... it still retains the appropriate feel.

Hume's an interesting puzzle: If I remember rightly, he was basically a professional soldier, yet he produced work of such delicacy...

I hear Gary's swinging by Yale, by the way; maybe he can sample some of their antique instrument collection while he's there.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum