• Register
  • Help

Topic: My flangy problem revisited

Share/Bookmark

My flangy problem revisited

OK so here's the deal:

If I wipe the hard drive completely, reinstall everything, and load a piano into giga- everything seems OK. Then if I quit giga and start it up again it reports that my hardware has changed (even though it hasn't). When I load the piano up again it is flangy.

So at this point I'm in the process of reinstalling everything again for the umpteenth time. This time when I get giga set up I'll just let the dang computer run forever- or at least until there's a power outage.

This doesn't seem like the best solution.

I have to believe that this has something to do with my system. When I get a few extra bucks I'm switching to a Pentium. Tascam support tells me that the Athlon XP line is not compatible with gigastudio- although they could not tell me which Athlon chips are compatible with giga.

Re: My flangy problem revisited

I look at things like this and tend to believe that it's just some silly little hardware setting you've missed. It doesn't sound like something that should cause you to have to go to all the trouble you've gone to.

You mentioned before that the problem seemed to have something to do with sonar. Make sure that giga is not recieving midi from both sonar and you midi interface. I've experienced this, and the difference in latencies causes phasing issues. Look into this, if my hunch is not based on misinformation.

Good luck,

Belbin

*sigh* apparently the problem doesn't have to do with sonar specifically because I'm not even running sonar on this machine now. Probably it has something to do with the midi drivers, but I can't figure out what.

Does SSE processing have anything to do with the midi drivers?

So I guess I will drop a Sempron processor in and see if it performs better than the Athlon XP. If not, I can always return it.

I was never able to find out just what SSE processing is. None of the ggeks I've bought computer gear from knew a thing about it.

???

I know EVEN LESS than them. Just thought I'd take a shot.

Belbin

Go Back to forum