• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overture: Setting up a new custom score

Share/Bookmark

Overture: Setting up a new custom score

I am a newbie. I have been searching the forum without success to find out how to set up a new score using Overture. If a template isn't what I want, how do I set up a custom new score? I am used to how Finale works.

Re: Overture: Setting up a new custom score

Quote Originally Posted by docdestructo62
    I am a newbie. I have been searching the forum without success to find out how to set up a new score using Overture. If a template isn't what I want, how do I set up a custom new score? I am used to how Finale works.
    3.6.1?? Or do you own the INCREDIBLE new Overture 4 with FULL VST HOSTING?

Hi...SCORE>INSERT TRACK to add staves.
    SCORE>SETUP TRACK to define staff attributes, instrument info, etc
    Staff Tool to set barlines through groups, left-side brackets, etc.
    TRACKS WINDOW to set patches
    SCORE>RESPACE STAVES to fine tune vertical spacings (can also be done by hand)

I am now "divorced" from Finale after a tempestuous 15-year relationship after using Overture 3.6.1 and the INCREDIBLE new Overture 4 with FULL VST HOSTING

That oughta git ya started

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

You might find it easier to take an existing template and add or delete staves/instruments to fit your requirements. You can then save that file into the templates folder in Overture for future use.

I'm assuming you're using Overture 4, but if not I would guess the procedure wouldn't be too different.

LOL, I tried doing that to get a string orchestra. I took a "Brass Quintet" and tried to turn it into a "String Quintet" but using ensemble strings instead of solo strings. Well, it was kind of funny because, since I didn't (and don't know how to) change all the "background" things, it kept telling me I was exceeding the range of the instrument and other assorted things because it thought I was still using brass instruments.

So now I'm waiting on the pdf manual so I can find out how to actually use the program.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo

I'm assuming you're using Overture 4, but if not I would guess the procedure wouldn't be too different.
    Thanks for all the help. I recently purchased GPO on ebay but I see now I wasn't getting the newest version. My Overture is version 3.5. How do I go about getting the new magically wonderful version 4.0? Is there a deal to be had?

There is still a pre-sale running on the upgrade to Overture 4. The price is $150 US and the sale is supposed to end tomorrow, however, there may be another extension to that (but I wouldn't bank on it.)

There is a demo up at http://www.geniesoft.com if you want to give it a try.

To read about the features you can visit the Geniesoft website or visit our forum at http://www.geniesoft.com/forum

If you do decide to purchase use the cross-grade purchase option at the Geniesoft store.

Unhappy Re: Overture: Setting up a new custom score

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    There is still a pre-sale running on the upgrade to Overture 4. The price is $150 US and the sale is supposed to end tomorrow, however, there may be another extension to that (but I wouldn't bank on it.)
    I don't have $150 in my pocket at the moment. As for the suggestion to use a template and then delete the instruments I don't need, that seems to mess up the settings beyond my ability (and level of patience) to restore them. Version 3.5 doesn't seem to have the ability to allow me to just choose the instruments I want and then to use them.

Go Back to forum