• Register
  • Help

Topic: Internet on your computer workstation?

Share/Bookmark

Internet on your computer workstation?

do you have Internet on your computer workstation? and if so what anti virus do you use(which is best for computers doing audio) and what other precautions or tweaks do you make if you use internet?

Re: Internet on your computer workstation?

I can't speak for anyone else but my DAW doesn't go anywhere near the internet. Then I don't need to worry about virus stuff, adware, spyware, etc. I have more than one computer and they are networked. But only one gets on the internet. If I need something on my DAW, I download it with the other computer, dump it onto a CDRW and port it over or I port it over across my home network. In my opinion, there is too much protection software required to be on the internet to want to do that with a custom DAW.

Rob

Arent there Viruses that can get across lans?

I suppose there is a certain chance of that happening. It's less than being on the internet directly but the risk does exist.

That's why in practice I usually burn what I need onto a CDRW and physically move it.

Rob

bah.. burning CDRW must get annoying after a while.. you should get one those little USB gadgets.

That's certainly a good idea. But the way I use the CD's it's almost not like burning. I use a UDF format and just drag and drop files back and forth. It's not different than dragging and dropping them onto the USB device except the media is a CDRW instead of a flash ram device.

Rob

Hi. I have Internet on my PC workstation only due to the lack of another unit for Internet. I would strongly suggest if you can swing it to get yourself a separate system for Internet use. I've only encountered increasing problems as virus and other forms of hellraisers advance with their technologies that have all but rendered my system totally useless.
    Seriously, do the right thing and get another cheap unit for Internet use. As for viruses crossing over from burning to CD, a good virus detection should at least warn you before you continue.
    I am paying dearly buy the lack of productive time with my music spending most of it trying to find spyware and adware and viruses. Don't let it happen to you like it did to me. I've finally have given up on the whole idea until I can afford another system solely for Internet use.
    Styxx

I've got only one computer--a laptop--so it does everything.

I have Kerio Firewall installed, don't open attachments, run Mozilla (though Firefox doesn't necessarily mean perfect protection), but don't run an antivirus.

Maybe it's asking for trouble... I don't know. I've got a fully functional backup hard drive image on an external drive, though. Now, if both my laptop hard drive and my external one gets hosed, well, I'm out of luck, I guess.

Go Back to forum