• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Group Buys Should be Banned

Share/Bookmark

Group Buys Should be Banned

I have spent far too much this year on libraries. Far far too much. I blame all the developers for this. I'm a sucker for group buys. Basically its an addiction However, if they are allowed to continue here are my votes (hint hint :

GPOA - lets hope it starts life as a Group Buy
    Bela D - almost anything there, it all sounds good and i havent jumped on that stuff yet.
    VSL anything - pretty sure that wont happen
    Post Pianos - still kicking myself for missing the one this summer
    Prominy Guitars - man they sound great\
    Camel Audio - oh, too late, already part of that one
    Amplitube 2 - hope that comes out soon and starts its life off with a group buy
    Some top end effects
    And many others i still don't have out there...

steve

Re: Group Buys Should be Banned

Oops - wrong forum - can this be moved to Sample Libraries Discussion

thanks

steve

I used to have the same problem - too much gearlusting and not enough music making! I finally realized that I was making better music when I had fewer appliations/synths/samplers because I was actually learning how to use those tools better. The more tools I add, the more I dilute my attention from the ultimate goal, which is to make great music. That's why I've really tried to limit my intake these days and it seems to be working pretty well for me.

But it is true - the way that the group buy drives the price down makes it hard to resist!

Quote Originally Posted by sghoughton
    Oops - wrong forum - can this be moved to Sample Libraries Discussion

thanks

steve
    Moved.

Tom

Hold on to your bank book Anothers coming soon stay tuned .

Camel Audio - oh, too late, already part of that one
    Ditto. Too good to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiotic
    I used to have the same problem - too much gearlusting and not enough music making! I finally realized that I was making better music when I had fewer appliations/synths/samplers because I was actually learning how to use those tools better. The more tools I add, the more I dilute my attention from the ultimate goal, which is to make great music. That's why I've really tried to limit my intake these days and it seems to be working pretty well for me.

But it is true - the way that the group buy drives the price down makes it hard to resist!
    Here, here!

Truth is just buy the basics and learn to use those very well.

Good sample libraries. GS 3 or Kontakt2. A Daw, Mics and Decent plugs: Compressor, Reverb, modulation effects and a good finalizer like Ozone 3 or T-rex. That'll get ya going good.

Oh, and don't forget Hans' Virtual Piano. Best $100 I've ever spent.

Ars

Bela D - almost anything there, it all sounds good and i havent jumped on that stuff yet.
    Steve,

All our libraries (excluding Giovani) are already cheaper than what most libraries go for in a group buy, meaning you can have them now, no need to wait.

PS. We did a group buy for Diva and moved a couple hundred units, so. They have been successful in the past for us.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    No need to feel bad, though. You're supporting a lot of hard working folks coming up with interesting innovations.

I'm agonizing over the Camel Audio group buy right now. It look excellent, and the price is right. I don't do that much of the style of music that those plugs excel at though, and I've already got a ton of stuff that I've barely scratched the surface on.

Still...

Lee Blaske
    See, thats just it - i'm mostly starting out with this stuff myself. So my reasoning on most of these things is, eventually, i'll get to them and if i can get them for a good deal, then it would suck if i got to the point of wanting them and look back and think i should have grabbed it at a group buy or excellent sale. The camel one for me is just like that - i've mostly enjoyed playing with orchestra stuff up til now, got gpo, then philharmonik, then kontakt with its small vsl library and still very much looking forward to GPOA and even that solo violin i've been hearing. I love that stuff. But the camel one is such a deal and i know i've also loved synth stuff over the years, with the good reviews it gets, i think its a no brainer to jump in and get started with a very capable synth. Likely, it will be the last synth i get for a while, but who knows.

And no, i don't feel bad. I think the stuff these developers make is so inspiring and absolutely enjoyable to play with that I don't begrudge them a cent of what they make on this stuff. I do however, sometimes wish they wouldn't tempt me so frequently. I'm so weak .

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    PS. We did a group buy for Diva and moved a couple hundred units, so. They have been successful in the past for us.
    Don't rub it in man - thats another one i'm kicking myself for missing - although, i really had no idea at the time i'd be interested in it - its only really been this summer that i've gotten heavily into this stuff. Hopefully some day there will be another, and i'll be all over it.

The other thing is, I really do enjoy getting a decent bargain on these things, so thats a driver for waiting. Plus, its all just a hobby, so really, its hard to justify the amount i've spent so far, and likely will spend in the next while too.

steve

I can feel ya there Steve, I started this as a hobby two years ago and, well - this is where its taken me - yikes.

But you missed the important part of my post, and quoted the unimportant part. You don't need a group buy on $149 libraries, Bela D always tries to price quality libs at bargain basement prices.

Ok, enough of the sales pitch. I agree with you though, Group Buys are evil... so many Visa bills, so many Visa bills....
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum