• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL Chamber Strings Redundant?

Share/Bookmark

VSL Chamber Strings Redundant?

I already have the VSL Complete Orchestral Package, but was curious about the Chamber Strings. Just curious if it is more of the same, or is it a worthy addition. It seems that some of the demos on the vsl site in the chamber strings demo section sound like they are from the VSL cube and performance set.

Yay for me.. First post.

Re: VSL Chamber Strings Redundant?

I was under the impression that the chamber strings where a different set of samples. I may be wrong.

But I do know that those samples represent some of the most realistic and expressive samples I've ever heard. It wont harm you to get them.

Ars

VSL Camber Strings are completely new recordings and, like the name say's, smaller sections than the Pro Edition Cube Strings. We've recorded 6 Violins, 4 Violas, 3 Celli and 2 Double Basses for our Chamber Strings. Pro Edition Sections are 14, 10, 8 and 6.
    all the best, michael

A quick vote for the VSL Chamber Strings.

As mentioned above they are totally different samples from the complete orchestral package. As smaller sections, they have a transparent quality, and are great for either giving a smaller, more intimate sound, for using for when you want divisi violins, or for layering with the full violins in the orchestral package (they sometimes help to create an even more realistic sound).

I love them. And I want to have their babies.

I bought Opus 1 + 2 and Chamber Strings at -30% reduced price on last August.

I never bought anything better for that price.

CS comes with some articulations not included in Opus 1/2 (e.g., Short Staccato) and, to me, this is a big added value.

Last but not least, samples in Chamber Strings are nothing less magnificent, and if you are looking for a true "Divisi" sound, CS is your best bet (to me).

I warmly reccomend it

Yes Chamber Strings are completely new samples. Btw. you can check these "redundancies" on their site. (At the main page of every product they comment the origin.)

And I agree with others the CS is very-very impressive. To be honest the first VSL orchestral samples were not as good as these ones. Chamber Strings are best-buy for every composer. The Horizon Series is awesome at all. Highly recommended.

Chinablu, the short stacs is unique to chamber strings, they didn't do it yet with any other section (Overdrive also has them I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by tothlorant
    [...] To be honest the first VSL orchestral samples were not as good as these ones. [...]
    In what respect, if I may ask ...? We recorded in the same soundstage, on behalf of the same technique and equipment, employing (almost) the same musicians and instruments, using the same methods in post-production ... hm - I just can't see where this could come from.

As happy as I am (of course!) that you like the Chamber Strings, I'm eager to learn what one could like _less_ when it comes to our large ensembles. ... Maybe you just like the more intimate sound better in general :-)

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by Chinablu
    and if you are looking for a true "Divisi" sound, CS is your best bet (to me).
    Yes, true. I bought them for an intimate small section sound, but they're not right for me, -they still sound too large. But then they are 6 instruments per part. And the difference in sound between a 3 violin section and a 6 vn section is much greater than between a 6 and 12.

They're also very bright.

I admit that I don't use them too much for the purpose I bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dietz
    In what respect, if I may ask ...? We recorded in the same soundstage, on behalf of the same technique and equipment, employing (almost) the same musicians and instruments, using the same methods in post-production ... hm - I just can't see where this could come from.

As happy as I am (of course!) that you like the Chamber Strings, I'm eager to learn what one could like _less_ when it comes to our large ensembles. ... Maybe you just like the more intimate sound better in general :-)

Thanks -

Dietz - I would have to agree as well (I have PE). It could be just the the smaller sound gives more 'detail' (of course it could all be the 'placebo' effect - it's newer than the orignal larger sections and therefore MUST sound better - I don't know what it is but the Chmbr strgs are outstanding.

The GS 3.x programming is outstanding as well (the Short staccs are also a stand-out).

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum