• Register
  • Help

Topic: Display in Portrait Mode

Share/Bookmark

Display in Portrait Mode

Many of you may already know of this software to "rotate" the screen so you can display in portrait rather than landscape mode, but I just stumbled onto it:

http://www.portrait.com/

In my case, I tend to do a lot of orchestral scoring, and rotating into portrait mode lets me see the full score more easily at greater size.

Of course, that means I have to stand my humongous Dell 20" CRT on it's side -- the thing's so heavy I have to do that with levers and pulleys -- but it's well worth it for the better view.

Those of you with more modern flat panel displays may have units designed to rotate 90 degrees for this purpose...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: Display in Portrait Mode

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Many of you may already know of this software to "rotate" the screen so you can display in portrait rather than landscape mode, but I just stumbled onto it:

http://www.portrait.com/

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David, thanks. I have just bought a 19" flat screen and was about to investigate this. My new screeen will rotate into portrait. I find myself not given so much attention to the cello and bass simply because they are out of view - so this should correct this.

Graham

Graham, from what I've read, some monitors come bundled with appropriate software for rotation; some do not; so you might want to check what you already have.

Same problem, here, by the way -- with several instruments out of view half the time (at least at any size I can see well enough to read), it's hard to pay attention to all the instruments as well as one should.

Now all I need to do is scrounge up a dozen monitors so I can see more pages at one time.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

[QUOTE=etLux]Graham, from what I've read, some monitors come bundled with appropriate software for rotation; some do not; so you might want to check what you already have.
    QUOTE]

Thanks David, I'll check when I get home. Any money saved now can go towards GPOA!

Regards, Graham

Also, some video cards have native support for monitor rotation. My monitors came with rotation software, but since that functionality was already provided by my GeForce 6600, I didn't bother installing it. I just set up a hotkey in the nVidia driver; pressing it once rotates whichever monitor my cursor's on, and pressing it again sets things back to normal.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum