• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Volume Problems

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Volume Problems

I continue to have problems with the volume levels of almost all the instruments. I have tried setting the modulation for individual instruments to anywhere from 40 to 127 and even adjusting the volume settings for each instrument manually within my sequencer (Logic 7), but I still get extremely faint sounds. Oboes are almost inaudible and even the solo violins are very faint. Sometimes, if I reach over to my MIDI controller keyboard and jiggle the mod wheel, this sometimes boosts the volume for a given track, but why should I have to do this if I have set the modulation already?

Also, I noticed that the default volume settings for many instruments is quite low. Most woodwinds and strings are in the -6 DB range or even lower. If I up this default setting in the Kontakt player it helps, but having to do this manually for every instrument can be quite discouraging and time consuming. There are so many factors that affect the volume level that I am beginning to despair of ever making any headway in this area.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can achieve and maintain a consistent volume level for GPO instruments? It is very frustrating to work on a mix, get a good balance, and then have everything almost inaudible when I open the project again.

Thanks,

Bill Boletta

Re: Volume Problems

I have the same problems with GPO volume in Sonar 3 and Kontakt 1 and 2 and it's driving me crazy. When I load a previously saved file, some of the instruments are almost inaudible regardless of the Sonar and Kontakt volume settings. Can anyone help us?

Thanks and regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

When you say you have set the modulation for each instrument, you're not doing it on the Kontakt player interface are you? Your sequencer will not record any mod wheel info changed this way. Have you tried recording (from your keyboard or drawing it in) a mod wheel level at the beginning of each track. All the GPO instruments (except for the velocity driven ones) start out a zero mod wheel level, as it is not known how loud/soft any give instrument will be upon its first entrance. I generally don't mess with the volume levels on the Kontakt player as I find I can usually find the proper balance with just the mod wheel. Also, is there a "reset all controllers to zero upon stopping playback" option in Logic (there is in Sonar) - if so, it should be turned off, otherwise all your instruments will zero out every time you stop and restart playback. I apologize if this is stuff you already know, but maybe there's a nugget of helpful information here.

BTW - You didn't mention whether you are using GPO as a VST or using GPO Studio. In either case your instruments should respond to mod wheel data embedded in your Midi track and be recalled upon reopening your project.

What is the CC number for mod wheel? Is it controller number one? I use controller number one but it has no effect on some instruments...probably most of them. I don't use a music keyboard therefore I don't have a mod wheel, of course.

I use GPO as a VST plugin in Sonar three. Using GPO with Kontakt 2 sometimes causes unpredictable results. For instance, using the Pedal CC causes the affected instrument to become unstable in pitch.

Thanks,

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry,

Open up GPO Studio and click on "Settings / Mode" - make sure that the default is selected and not the "ignore mod wheel". This too is a global setting and might trickle down to your VST version. When I was trying to get GPO to work with Sibelius I had to keep switching back and forth on this setting and would often forget where I had last left it.

Yes, Mod Wheel is CC1. I can't figure out why, if all the settings on your Kontakt player are correct, you can't get some kind of response - do you see the mod wheel moving on the GPO player? - have you contacted Gary about this? One thing you might check is to make sure (you're using Sonar, right?) that the Midi channel that the controller data is transmitting on is the same as that triggering the instrument (bottom left-hand corner of the piano roll view).

I have tried opening GPO instruments in Kontakt 2 but they got kind of wonky so I abandoned the idea. They work fine for me as they are so I decided to leave well enough alone (for me, anyway).

Luis

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your taking the time.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Bill,

Most of what the folks said above should be food for thought, but you should not use GPO Studio or VST. Use the AU version of the Kontakt Player. This is your Macs native way of doing things. Although you may be able to use VST, you will need a wrapper for it. It‘s just best to avoid VST’s when an AU version is available.

Although I own Logic 7, I‘m not up to speed on it yet, so I can‘t be real specific about your problem, but I have been sequencing with Mac software for some 20 years. if you are stil having difficulties after reading the above posts, feel free to call me at 215-752-5618 and I’ll do my best to get you happy. Check this post:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38350

cheers,

Karl

I normally disable CC7/CC10 in the options in the Kontakt player. Most of the default levels are set pretty good although I may tweak the levels in the player some.

Then I do constant changes with CC1 (modulation) as I play. Remember that strings, woodwinds and brass never play at one constant volume. These instrument should have their sound shaped by using constant changes of CC1 for more musical phrasing. Make sure your sequencer is actually not filtering out CC1.

The levels of the instruments by themselves will be sort of low. When you start playing a whole orchestra, the levels will then get close to 0 db. The volume level is additive as you add more instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I normally disable CC7/CC10 in the options in the Kontakt player. Most of the default levels are set pretty good although I may tweak the levels in the player some.

Then I do constant changes with CC1 (modulation) as I play. Remember that strings, woodwinds and brass never play at one constant volume. These instrument should have their sound shaped by using constant changes of CC1 for more musical phrasing. Make sure your sequencer is actually not filtering out CC1.
    Thanks to everyone for all of this helpful information. I am using GPO as an AU instrument, so that should be no problem. Maybe the Kontakt player settings are causing the problem. Under the Options, I have the sustain/sostenuto pedal mode set at "no sustain/sostenuto operation, but MIDI controller." Is this correct?

On the Kontakt player itself, to the right of "options" button is a pulldown menu with several external controller selections: velocity, pitchbend, etc. You can set the percentages for the effect these will have. All of mine are set at zero percent, including the mod wheel. Is this desirable? Should I set the CC1/Mod Wheel higher for this one?

All in all, I find the Kontakt player a bit difficult to understand. Does NI have any documentation available. I went to their site, but it is not hte easiest place to find things.

I'll work on some of the suggestions several people made and then let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

Bill B.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Bill,

Most of what the folks said above should be food for thought, but you should not use GPO Studio or VST. Use the AU version of the Kontakt Player. This is your Macs native way of doing things. Although you may be able to use VST, you will need a wrapper for it. It‘s just best to avoid VST’s when an AU version is available.

cheers,

Karl
    Thanks, Karl. When I select the instrument , from the parameters panel I choose IO, Stereo, AU Instrument, Native Instruments, GPO. This is what you mean, isn't it? When I click on GPO then it opens the Kontakt player and I choose my instrument. After that "Garritan" appears in the IO slot on the panel. Double-clicking there again will open up the Kontakt player showing which instrument is chosen.
    I made sure that she reset to zero preference was turned off for all the MIDI controllers, so this should not be a problem.

Let me know your Skype ID when you get one. I have one already and we can chat for peanuts.

Thanks again,

Bill B.

Go Back to forum